In other news...

tkdguy

6 hours ago, Christopher said:

I guess it is lucky that there are a few "save for civilian use" solutions comming out of the woodworks now:

The Dutch police have since followed through with implementing drone-hunting eagles, and the French military has been training them as well.

Personally, I'll pass on using techno-toys if Nature has spent hundreds of millennia adapting something to do the same job.

44 minutes ago, Cygnia said:

I HATE!!!! that copyright is still so obscenely long.  Yeah, copyright has its place, but even 75 years is a joke today.  I'm a big Dorothy Sayers fan...but only 2 of her Peter Wimsey books are public domain, as they come from the 20s and 30s.  

Where ya get crucified quite often is actually when the artist dies...because the estate lawyers and beneficiaries almost always go for max revenues.  Perhaps not against explicit wishes that the deceased's works go into the public domain, but barring that...they have no reason to budge.  Remember the Traveling Wilburys?  2 collaboration albums.  George Harrison, Tom Petty, Bob Dylan, Roy Orbison...these should need no intro.  3 can reasonably be asserted to belong on a Mount Rushmore of rock n' roll;  I don't quite put Petty at that level, but he wasn't far from it!  And Jeff Lynne of ELO, a great performer and one of the great album producers.  Orbison died, IIRC soon after the 2nd album was released...and his estate basically forced the albums off the air by contesting the royalties, IIRC.  David Eddings' stuff has been almost impossible to find as e-books after he died;  I gotta think it's the estate again.

There's no impetus to change things, and well, given everything else, there's no real chance this'll ever come up for reconsideration.  Even if it does, who's gonna argue the consumers' side?  Google probably would, and there probably would be others, but the writers/creators?  The supporters of this will probably make their stuff public when they can, so overall...nope.  The publishers?  HA!  They'll never release control 1 second before they have to.

RE: Traveling Wilburys -

Roy Orbison died shortly after the completion of the first album (the video for "End of the Line" shows his photograph in a rocking chair with the rest of the band) and had no part in the second album, titled Vol. 3.

The More You Know. :)

4 hours ago, Pariah said:

RE: Traveling Wilburys -

Roy Orbison died shortly after the completion of the first album (the video for "End of the Line" shows his photograph in a rocking chair with the rest of the band) and had no part in the second album, titled Vol. 3.

The More You Know. :)

Ah, ok.  Forgot;  that was a LONG time ago.

Krakatoa does it again. Tsunami kills hundred in Indonesia after what appears to be underwater landslide

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-46663158

Obituary for Paddy Ashdown ex-leader of the Liberal Democrats. Ex-Royal Marine officer and Special Boat Service (SAS on water) member.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-33440958

On December 23, 2018 at 9:52 AM, death tribble said:

Krakatoa does it again. Tsunami kills hundred in Indonesia after what appears to be underwater landslide

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-46663158

Visible imagery of the cone has not yet been possible due to weather and ash, but radar images taken since Saturday strongly suggest the southwest part of the Anak Krakatau cone collapsed into the water.