In other news...

tkdguy

12 hours ago, DasBroot said:

For a long time there was the notion that a population in Southern Africa (sub Saharan) didn't have any DNA markers from other homo species that failed to make the cut.  It's still true for neanderthal in their bloodline but evidence was found of non-neanderthral markers in this population more recently, though.

In any case - migration from Eurasia back to Africa was wide spread and continuous.  Wander out, interbreed with other things that looked compatible for a few thousand years, wander back.  Eventually adapt enough that the place you wander back to in generational wandering isn't as far away. That basically sums up human pre-history (and modern, really) in a nutshell.

I have heard supposedly one of the traits homo sapiens was theoretically supposed have gotten with cross-breeding with Neanderthals was red-hair.  Given my attraction to redheads should I be A)disturbed about myself or B)) thank them for their contribution?

Note: And yes, I still write/type Neanderthal with that h, I did it for the 30 years of my life, and am not changing because of "fickle" scientists.  Deal with it.  Next thing, they will tell me Pluto isn't a planet.......Oh crap.

11 hours ago, Badger said:

Note: And yes, I still write/type Neanderthal with that h, I did it for the 30 years of my life, and am not changing because of "fickle" scientists.  Deal with it.  Next thing, they will tell me Pluto isn't a planet.......Oh crap.

If Pluto is a planet, then Ceres, Haumea, Makemake, Eris count too. And it might become more:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dwarf_planet#Dwarf_planets_and_possible_dwarf_planets

5 hours ago, Christopher said:

If Pluto is a planet, then Ceres, Haumea, Makemake, Eris count too. And it might become more:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dwarf_planet#Dwarf_planets_and_possible_dwarf_planets

Pluto is a planet.  

And the others preferred to be called little planets.

21 minutes ago, Badger said:

Pluto was labelled a planet for 70 years.  It's like booting somebody out of the Hall of Fame after his death.

Exidor: What we need is more of your experiences with the Venusians here on Earth.
Mork: I didn't meet them on Earth, I met them on Venus.
Exidor: You've been there?
Mork: Oh yes, I've been to all the planets in your solar system.
Exidor: Mars? Mercury? Pluto?
Mork: Oh, don't ever go to Pluto, it's a Mickey Mouse planet.

The Soviet -- er, Russian -- Ministry of Culture has yanked the distribution license for an acclaimed comedy about the death of Joseph Stalin titled, appropriately, The Death of Stalin. That means the film, satirizing a pivotal event in Russian history, will be illegal to screen, stream, or download in Russia. Jason Isaacs (Star Trek: Discovery), who plays Marshal Grigori Zukhov, joked about "poison teabags", but one thing this is likely to do is poison the box office. If Putin doesn't want anyone in Russia to see the film, he probably doesn't want anyone anywhere else to see it either. And while he can't get outright bans outside his immediate sphere of influence, it will be hard to tell how many negative critiques of the film will come from his paid hackers as opposed to people who actually see the film (which currently stands at 97% on the Tomatometer).

16 hours ago, Badger said:

Pluto was labelled a planet for 70 years.  It's like booting somebody out of the Hall of Fame after his death.

Look, we will not get back to 9 Planets:

You eitehr kick out Pluto.

Or you let in 4+ others.

You either get 8 or 13+ Planets. 9 Simply does not hold up to current observational Ability any more then the Earth-Centric Solar System did.

On January 28, 2018 at 9:32 AM, Christopher said:

Look, we will not get back to 9 Planets:

You eitehr kick out Pluto.

Or you let in 4+ others.

You either get 8 or 13+ Planets. 9 Simply does not hold up to current observational Ability any more then the Earth-Centric Solar System did.

I had thought I'd weighed in about Pluto before, but I can't find it, so here it goes again.

This whole sequence, of finding a new body and calling it a planet, then sheepishly rescinding that label, has happened before.

In 1801 the first asteroid was discovered, Ceres, in what we now call the main asteroid belt.  Three more were found over the next ten years in sort of the same part of the Solar System.  Because there were several of them, and they all seemed undersized, they got kicked collectively into a new ghetto bin, "asteroids" or "minor planets".  Definitely judgmental and a bit scandalous, people forgot about this episode.  We now know thousands of asteroids, of course; the relabeling was the correct thing to do.

Advance the calendar to about 1930, and replay the tape.  The first object, Pluto, was found by Clyde Tombaugh and hailed as a new planet, though it was rather undersized and in a definitely funny place.  But, because Tombaugh was a truly great astronomer, it was sixty years rather than less than ten before the next examples were found.  Sixty years is close enough to a human lifetime that cultural inertia sets in and people get emotionally invested in lore that they picked up in their youth.

A bit of confusing excitement happened in the very late 1970s when Pluto was found to have a satellite (Charon), and there was a series of eclipses in the 1980s which let us get good numbers for the size of Pluto, and damn, it's small.

Eventually in the 1990s, improvements in telescope and detector technology meant we started finding lots of these things, these "trans-Neptunian objects", and Pluto isn't even the biggest of them (which Ceres, the first known asteroid, was); it's just the closest one to us, sort of.  Computational techniques and broader study of celestial mechanics gained us some insight about what this sort of object must be, and the ones we have left are a tiny remnant of what was a much larger population of icy bodies sort of the same size as the bigger moons orbiting the (real) planets.  (A few more satellites of Pluto were found with Hubble Space Telescope, upping the ante in the whole affair.)  We probably got our first good look at one of these trans-Neptunian objects in the late 1980s when Voyager passed through the Neptune system and returned images of Triton, which is almost certainly also a Pluto-class body that got captured into orbit rather than being accreted (eaten) or ejected (kicked out of the Solar System entirely) over the last 4.5 billion years or so, which is what happened to the overwhelming majority of that population. The amazing achievement of the New Horizons spacecraft passing through the Pluto system a couple years back got us a good, if limited, look at the one that started the whole hoo-rah.

But ... Pluto is just one member of a class of objects too small to qualify as a planet, for the same kind of reasons that Ceres and Vesta and Juno and Pallas are members of a different class of objects too small to qualify as a planet.  There is more to the list of qualifications than just size, but people hung up on this issue tend not to care about that, and not care quite loudly.