In other news...

tkdguy

5 hours ago, Ragitsu said:

Here, we occasionally get coyotes roaming through the streets at night. I kid you not.

Couple of years ago, my dad and step-mother had a coyote decide to hang around near where they live.  It (probably) moved on after thinning out the feral cat population to an alarming degree.  Unfortunately, it got one of their parttime outside cats, which led to the other 2 cats of theirs who would go outside, to become permanent inside cats whether they liked it or not.

Note: Of course, it also led to them getting an additional cat, when they found one with a chewed up back leg.  Took to vets, where it had to be amputated up to the hip.  (although, not the name they gave him, I sometimes refer to him as "Tripod")

6 hours ago, Christopher said:

schlock20000904.jpg?v=1443894883165

On the contrary, wheat, pigs, and chickens are just three examples of species who have based enormous biological success on tasting good.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary notes that it didn't work out so well for the passenger pigeon. On the other head, the dodo tasted terrible and that didn't save it.

Cheddar Man is the oldest known modern human skeleton in Britain. He died about 10,000 years ago. Previous assumptions were that he was fair of both skin and hair. But now an examination of his DNA had been done, with surprising results.

As it turned out, Cheddar Man was black, but not African. He had blue eyes and black hair. Which throws out the window many assumptions about Britain's early inhabitants, and about how cosmetic traits like skin color emerged.

Biologically speaking, race is a nonsense concept in that applying a moral value to cosmetic features says nothing at all about the capabilities of an individual. That so many people do just that is both sad and outrageous.

11 minutes ago, Lucius said:

On the contrary, wheat, pigs, and chickens are just three examples of species who have based enormous biological success on tasting good.

The problem with that is that these three species are dependent upon another species -- Man -- for their survival. Domestic chickens and pigs would become literally extinct in a few decades if we as a species would decide to totally stop eating them or using their related products like eggs and leather.

3 minutes ago, Michael Hopcroft said:

The problem with that is that these three species are dependent upon another species -- Man -- for their survival. Domestic chickens and pigs would become literally extinct in a few decades if we as a species would decide to totally stop eating them or using their related products like eggs and leather.

I think you're underselling pigs and chickens somewhat especially the pigs.

18 minutes ago, Michael Hopcroft said:

Domestic chickens and pigs would become literally extinct in a few decades if we as a species would decide to totally stop eating them or using their related products like eggs and leather.

A lot of states are overrun with feral hog populations. Some breeds of chicken would die out fast (meat breeds, especially), but by no means all. Many breeds of chicken aren't so far removed from their wild ancestors.

On 2/6/2018 at 5:11 PM, Ragitsu said:

Here, we occasionally get coyotes roaming through the streets at night. I kid you not.

The night before you posted that, I nearly ran over a coyote on the street in front of my place. (Couldn't catch him.) They really love the taste of cat. And we have a very healthy rabbit population to boot.

7 minutes ago, Pattern Ghost said:

A lot of states are overrun with feral hog populations. Some breeds of chicken would die out fast (meat breeds, especially), but by no means all. Many breeds of chicken aren't so far removed from their wild ancestors.

My town is overrun with feral chickens.  They'd be fine without us.

Cows, on the other hand...