In other news...

tkdguy

2 hours ago, Cygnia said:

This is a perfectly valid alternate universe take, albeit one few fan writers explore simply because they have not seen the movies. The Cushing adaptation of The Dalek Invasion of Earth was my first, unknowing exposure to Doctor Who. I haven't seen it in decades.

A man was shot at a Southeast Portland homeless shelter,  after he was allegedly involved in a crash of a stolen car minutes before.

Portland police have a record of using excessive force in situations like this, so pardon my skepticism. It is not yet clear if the man was armed, or whether he was involved with the shelter in any way.

4 minutes ago, Pattern Ghost said:

There's video of the incident in this story. It won't play for me, so no opinion. According to the article, the man had a knife and was stabbing himself in the neck with it. 

So naturally you shoot him a few times. Outside the heat of the moment, of course, post-mortems (quite literally in this case, as the subject died) are easy to come by. But given the way cops in general are using force these days, you have to ask questions. The shooting took place in a homeless shelter that I have heard of friends using. Whether it was the subject or the cops who were to blame for this -- or both -- it must have been horrifying for all the men there who only wanted a safe place to sleep that night.

5 minutes ago, Michael Hopcroft said:

So naturally you shoot him a few times.

Maybe.

5 minutes ago, Michael Hopcroft said:

you have to ask questions

You have to ask the correct questions, based on the facts available.

Based on the content of the article I linked, the shooting was likely justifiable. I also didn't see any indicators that the police put any innocents in danger. It looked like the line of fire to the suspect was pretty clear.

You might disagree if you think that a guy who's running around in a state that makes him want to stab himself in the neck repeatedly isn't a danger to the general public and is someone you want in an enclosed space with your friends at the shelter.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

If he is a danger to himself, it quite likely they are unhinged enough to be a danger to anybody hapless enough to wander into that situation.  Best not to predict crazy.

In any case, the last fatal shooting in my area.  Some guy was breaking into a house, shot at the homeowner (who both called 911 and returned fire) and when the police arrived the suspect was in the process of leaving and started firing on the police.  SO, while I do try to take these things on a case by case basis, I will unapologetically lean towards the side of the police until convincingly proven guilty.  

We're at a point in society where a great many people not directly involved in these incidents, automatically assume the guilt or innocence of the parties who are involved, before an investigation of the specifics. Complicating the issue is that the objectivity of the investigative process itself is often called into question -- not without cause.

17 hours ago, Pattern Ghost said:

Not to mention this guy reminded police how dangerous a lunatic with a knife is in close quarters not so long ago.

I'm not saying the police are definitely in the right on this one, but I haven't seen anything that puts them on the wrong side of things just yet.

Yeah, I am not saying they aren't guilty either.  JUst that, you know if they didn't shoot him and he killed someone else,  they'd be ran out of town for the negligence.  Right now, though, for a cop, there is no right decision.  

I put together a little chart. I've posted a couple of times about how the reason the US has a higher rate of police killing people is because the police in the US are more likely to be killed themselves. Before I put this in my "ready to flamewar" pile, I thought I'd ask for constructive criticism?

Is the chart too busy? I have "rate of gun ownership" as the size of the bubbles, and "amount of gun control" as color. Maybe just "death vs. death" would work better.

Should the table below be sorted differently? Here it is grouped by degree of gun control, then sorted by state name. Should I do just by state name? or grouped by law type and sorted by Gun ownership rate? Sorted by one of the fatality kinds?

Any thoughts would be appreciated, is what I'm saying.

1274117272_PoliceKilledvsKilledbyPolice.thumb.jpg.fd69764b6ef27349ae3557a0c47e3dfd.jpg

the first bare-knuckle prizefights to be held legally since 1889 will be held in Wyoming on June 2.

The fight will be sanctioned by Wyoming's Boxing Commission, which also supervises MMA promotions. The promoter of the event claims that fighting with gloves on is actually more dangerous than fighting without, because gloves cushion impact on the hands which lets them hit harder and contributes to concussions and brain damage. Of course, inflicting concussions is rather the point of boxing....

My understanding is that the gloves do encourage people to hit softer targets. That is, bare-knuckle fights may reduce brain damage because they reduce how often heads get punched and how hard people are willing to punch heads in the first place.

Its a bit like how unarmored rugby can be safer than armored football, because players instinctively don't tackle as hard.

4 hours ago, Sociotard said:

I put together a little chart. I've posted a couple of times about how the reason the US has a higher rate of police killing people is because the police in the US are more likely to be killed themselves. Before I put this in my "ready to flamewar" pile, I thought I'd ask for constructive criticism?

Is the chart too busy? I have "rate of gun ownership" as the size of the bubbles, and "amount of gun control" as color. Maybe just "death vs. death" would work better.

Should the table below be sorted differently? Here it is grouped by degree of gun control, then sorted by state name. Should I do just by state name? or grouped by law type and sorted by Gun ownership rate? Sorted by one of the fatality kinds?

Any thoughts would be appreciated, is what I'm saying.

1274117272_PoliceKilledvsKilledbyPolice.thumb.jpg.fd69764b6ef27349ae3557a0c47e3dfd.jpg

Your data isn't normalized (3 year period for killed by police, 10 year period for police being killed), so the graph isn't very useful.