In other news...

tkdguy

Trade routes went further, earlier than previously thought  Might be behind a subscriber wall.  If so, the item is that trade routes efficiently connected the Mediterranean with the edge of Australasia (probably Indonesia) in the mid-13th Century, about 250 years before earlier guesses.

The indicator hinges on a 13th Century document which has a clear drawing of a sulfur-crested cockatoo.  (You can get to the document here, then page forward to page 18v, and its in the right-hand margin towards the top.)

17 hours ago, tkdguy said:

The shooter had sued the newspaper a few times, about an accurate story of his stalking/harassment conviction for doing his best to ruin the life of a woman he went to school with. He claimed he had been defamed, and apparently felt his own actions were justified.

He had also apparently gone to the trouble of altering his fingerprints (I'd really rather not know how, thank you very much), implying that he believed he could get away with it.

My other thoughts on the subject would get me in trouble, so I'll refrain.

Oregon State University won the National Championship of college baseball last night with a 5-0 win over Arkansas in the decisive Game 3 of the College World Series final.

The Beavers were paced by a freshman pitcher named Kevin Abel. Abel spun a two-hit complete game and retired the last 20 men he faced. He also finished the previous game, meaning that in the space of two days he threw 153 pitches. To give you an idea how impressive this is, Major League pitchers are generally removed after 90-100 pitches.

This is OSU's third national championship.

11 hours ago, Starlord said:

There is merit to the idea that it was also borderline abusive on the part of his manager...that's a lot of stress in a short period on a 19 year-old arm.

High school and college coaches generally don't care.   At my own high school, one assistant coach (and the pitcher's uncle) was swelling with pride over the fact his nephew through a 130-pitch complete game on Friday, and came back on Monday to pitch another one at 160 pitches. (the pitcher's junior year).

Of course, thanks to that workload, this pitcher was actually throwing harder his freshmen year than his senior year, so he never did anything beyond the HS level that I am aware of. To be fair, this was the early 90s, so arm consciousness wasn't quite as pervasive.  

5 hours ago, Cygnia said:

Shades of Dusty Baker.

Sort of, Baker does get the blame for Mark Prior and Kerry Wood's arms and probably justly so.  But, with the Giants, who had medicore and aging veteran starters, he tended to baby them a bit and overwork the bullpen.  I remember at the mid-point of the season one year, the Giant bullpen had the National League leader in relief appearances...…...and #3...…..and #4...…..and #6.

Of course, Baker's primary mentor in managing was Tommy Lasorda who was the premier arm butcherer of the 1980s,  wearing out the arms of the likes of Fernando Valenzuela, Pedro's brother Ramon Martinez, Alejandro Pena (who would revive his career as a reliever), and to some extent Orel Hershiser.  (when thinking about Pedro getting traded to Montreal probably saved him)

I you can read this, you might not have been affected by the national fiber outage at Comcast.

The reported cause is several cut fibers at the backbone level. Notice they did not report how the fibers got cut -- which is a very interesting question, because if it was deliberate (and I do not have enough information to speculate) it's a massive vulnerability in a private infrastructure that is depended upon by much of the American economy.

Hopefully it was accidental, but even so it is an indication of the sort of care that absolutely mus be exercised when something so important is maintained.

Elsewhere...

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-44681855?ocid=socialflow_facebook&ns_mchannel=social&ns_campaign=bbcnews&ns_source=facebook

Antonio Halili was shot in the chest as he sang the national anthem outside the town hall of Tanauan, south of Manila.

Footage showed bystanders screaming and running away after the shooting.

Mr Halili, who paraded drug suspects through the streets, was known for his hardline position on drugs. But he was also accused of protecting drug traffickers - something he denied.

The shooter was able to escape, and no suspects have been identified yet.