In other news...

tkdguy

2 hours ago, Michael Hopcroft said:

The iconic Griffith Observatory in California was evacuated yesterday over a suspicious package found on the premises.

In addition to its scientific value (largely obsoleted by space telescopes), the observatory has been a prominent film location for decades and a popular tourist attraction.

I believe it's a good spot to see the Hollywood sign

4 hours ago, Michael Hopcroft said:

Doesn't he still have a large financial stake in the company?

Yeah, he's still on the board. They couldn't take that away from him. We are waiting for the store guys to come by and take down his stupid picture and stupid camaro story thing.  Boxes will have his picture on them for a while as the commissary runs them out and prints new ones. Don't know how long that will last.

CES

14 hours ago, Badger said:

Given what I think of Elon Musk, I probably cant be partial enough on this.  (though if we are talking about egos, no one is going to win against Elon Musk-and I'll leave on that)

Dude definitely has an ego, but he means well, and is making an honest effort to help, which is more than I can say for most billionaires.

11 hours ago, Old Man said:

Dude definitely has an ego, but he means well, and is making an honest effort to help, which is more than I can say for most billionaires.

True.  THough, I wouldn't say it is "honest" per se.  So, much as to make himself look good and (again) stroke his ego. 

Though, the primary thing was to save those kids, I don't give a crap on the how.

20 hours ago, Old Man said:

Not to derail, but IIRC Elon was responding to the diver's unnecessary mockery of his submarine.  No one's coming out of this smelling like roses.

Actually building something like that without asking or consulting the people on the site, who know best the conditions to be overcome and what would and would not be practical, is either monumental arrogance or a cynical PR stunt exploiting a potential tragedy.

Oh, it's absolutely monumental arrogance.  The sort of arrogance that would lead you to believe it's possible to disrupt the spaceflight industry, or mass-produce award-winning electric supercars in the face of active opposition from the auto industry.