In other news...

tkdguy

1 hour ago, death tribble said:

Stealing Crown Jewels

There had to be someone on the inside or alarms would have gone off all over the place.

"Steal the Crown Jewels" is such a common trope in fiction that it's easy to satirize and frequently comes off as cliché. But if there's to be any money in it, it would have to involve doing something that scarcely bears imagining....

Ving Rhames, from Mission Impossible and loads of other movies, was held at gunpoint by police because a neighbor called and said a large black man broke into his house.

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/ving-rhames-mission-impossible-police-gunpoint-california-racism-black-lives-matter-a8467721.html

This reiterates the fact that the problem isn't just racist/triggerhappy cops. A big share is racist neighbors.  Also, we should all probably do better about knowing our neighbors. I didn't know any neighbors until I had kids and they want to go play with neighbor kids. So, I share this flaw. I still don't know most of the households near me.

Actress Fan Bingbing (Blink in the X-Men films) appears to be in trouble. The Chinese star has been scrubbed from Chinese social media and barred from leaving the country amid reports of a tax investigation.

Tax evasion in the Chinese entertainment industry is nothing new. So-called "Yin-Yang contracts" where actors are paid under the table are common, and Fan reportedly signed one for 50 million Yuan (about $7.3 million US Dollars). But they are also illegal for obvious reasons. And China has been putting serious pressure on media to avoid reporting on them, so as not to embarrass the authorities. Fan was very active on social media, posting daily to the Facebook-like Weibo service.

The authorities have said nothing about Fan's whereabouts, especially domestically. Fans are reportedly worried about her safety, but mention of such concerns have been heavily censored, and hundreds of Weibo posts inquiring about her have been taken down just in the last 48 hours.

If nothing else, this illustrates the massive power the Chinese government has over the Internet in their country -- and the potentially alarming uses of that power.

2 hours ago, death tribble said:

The Mayor is not to be messed with......

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-45056801

"The 51-year-old Republican ran on issues like keeping taxes low, improved infrastructure and "transparency". "

I hear that message from campaigning politicians all too often. We'll improve your services, but we won't raise your taxes to pay for them. The other guys aren't open and honest with you, but we will be.

The populist line. Easiest to campaign on, hardest to govern from.

9 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

"The 51-year-old Republican ran on issues like keeping taxes low, improved infrastructure and "transparency". "

I hear that message from campaigning politicians all too often. We'll improve your services, but we won't raise your taxes to pay for them. The other guys aren't open and honest with you, but we will be.

Jesse Ventura, the most famous wrestler/politician, was much better at running for office than he was at running a state.

11 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

If the council in my area were truthful:

We'll raise your taxes, but not improve your services.

On ‎8‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 10:00 AM, Michael Hopcroft said:

There had to be someone on the inside or alarms would have gone off all over the place.

"Steal the Crown Jewels" is such a common trope in fiction that it's easy to satirize and frequently comes off as cliché. But if there's to be any money in it, it would have to involve doing something that scarcely bears imagining....

Holding the jewels for ransom? Because that's about all I can think of.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary suggests breaking or melting down the pieces for the precious substances, but that would destroy so much of the value it doesn't begin to cover the expense and risk of the theft

On ‎3‎/‎22‎/‎2014 at 11:22 PM, tkdguy said:

Since US news seems to be focused only on the missing Malaysian Airlines flight and the Crimea, here are some other stories not seen in US television.

Feel free to post other stories here.

Thanks to you, I now know there is a missing Malaysian flight. I had no idea, since I don't watch/listen/read any US news. The Guardian or a variety of science and literature websites, or gaming stuff. Amazing how much better life is when not paying attention to the "news".

16 hours ago, Lucius said:

Holding the jewels for ransom? Because that's about all I can think of.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary suggests breaking or melting down the pieces for the precious substances, but that would destroy so much of the value it doesn't begin to cover the expense and risk of the theft

Ransom? Pshhh! 

It is well known within certain inner circles that the crown jewels have several pieces not of this earth! Several of the gems are of a crystalline construction that reflects a complex silicon bio-lattice. The royal house has spent much of their fortune researching the properties of these jewels, which have the potential of a vastly new and different kind of technology. These jewels were clearly stolen by secret organization that is going to manufacture weapons of incalculable power to  take over the world.

Ransom... hmmph.