In other news...

tkdguy

8 hours ago, Lawnmower Boy said:

Whether you're a Herophile or not, please stay safe. I'm a little gobsmacked that hurricane season is starting with a potential disaster, because it suggests that we'll be dealing with a few more of them, and I'm a bit worried that our modern economy isn't really up to the strain of so many weather-related blows. People in Carolina need to not drown tomorrow. Everyone needs to not starve, every day.  

If the locals follow tradition, they'll buy 3 loaves of bread, one gallon of milk, and 2 dozen eggs per person per day expected to be out of the loop.  :P

Dallas police officer shoots man in his apartment after allegedly mistaking it for her own

This is so odd and disturbing I don't know where to start.

- You were on the wrong floor?  And you didn't see the red doormat outside the door?

- His door also happened to be slightly ajar?

- There is absolutely no way I'm 'obeying' someone who has snuck into my dimly lit apartment.

2 hours ago, Starlord said:

Dallas police officer shoots man in his apartment after allegedly mistaking it for her own

This is so odd and disturbing I don't know where to start.

- You were on the wrong floor?

- His door also happened to be slightly ajar?

- There is absolutely no way I'm obeying someone who has snuck into my dimly lit apartment with a bright red doormat mat outside the door.

I doubt the veracity of her explanation of events. And that's all I'll say on the subject.

Hog farms are known to be just amazing ammonia sources, in terms of anthropogenic trace gas production.  A colleague of mine who was in that racket said that when setting up a monitoring station, you had to stay away from any site with a significant number of hogs (and I don't know if "significant" means a couple dozen or several hundred in this context) or it would overpower your instruments, like taking soot measurements downwind of a coal-fired power plant.

On 9/10/2018 at 10:54 PM, Badger said:

If the locals follow tradition, they'll buy 3 loaves of bread, one gallon of milk, and 2 dozen eggs per person per day expected to be out of the loop.

French toast is a critical part of any disaster preparation plan.

And as if it's wasn't obvious enough that Australia's popular press is not quite in the 21st century yet, an Australian cartoonist published a cartoon criticizing Serena Williams (who recently had an infamous explosion at the US Open final) that looked like something out of a cartoon in a 1930's southern newspaper. I'm not going to post it here, but you should be able to find it. When people, especially outside of Australia, criticized the gross personal and racial insults to perhaps the greatest athlete on the planet of either gender, the newspaper who printed the cartoon doubled down by printing it again and claiming to be the victim of "PC run amok".

I know there is at least one Australian here, but given the policies I read about every so often it certainly looks like racial politics in Australia tend to be unpleasant. I wonder what reception Williams will receive at next year's Australian Open (the first of tennis' four Grand Slam tournaments each year). And she's faced other pointless harassment this year; a "catsuit" she wore to combat a life-threatening condition from her recent pregnancy was summarily banned by the French tennis authorities for no readily discernible reason. With all the pointless junk she's dealt with in 2018, her behavior did not surprise or even particularly offend me. McEnroe and Agassi got away with much worse.

So, Cancer, I don't suppose you are more "in the know" here? An observatory in New Mexico has been evacuated, and sealed off by an FBI team that arrived in a black helicopter.  I'm sure it is something banally awful, but my inner scifi nerd is dancing.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/space/telescopes/a23107258/fbi-new-mexico-observatory/

1 hour ago, Sociotard said:

So, Cancer, I don't suppose you are more "in the know" here? An observatory in New Mexico has been evacuated, and sealed off by an FBI team that arrived in a black helicopter.  I'm sure it is something banally awful, but my inner scifi nerd is dancing.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/space/telescopes/a23107258/fbi-new-mexico-observatory/

J'onn J'onzz?

The newspaper item linked from the Popular Mechanics thing you posted mentions National Solar Observatory, though the picture in the PopMech thing is of a nearby but different place, Apache Point Observatory.  I have been to APO several times over the last 20-plus years, and I was WSU's science rep on the APO governing board for the last three years they were members of the consortium.  Nothing seems to have happened at APO: there's no disruptions noted in their night logs or other operating reports.

NSO I do not know anywhere near as well, having been there only once and that as a tourist.  It seems to be slowly being phased out of operation as its science gets shifted to better observing sites in Hawaii.  (I haven't seen a clear, open declaration of that, but lots of functions have been moved out of New Mexico and the trend seems clear.)  Roughly a year ago they closed their visitors center, apparently for good.

What remains there at NSO might (I emphasize "might") include some classified military (most likely USAF) project; that has certainly happened before, and there is a half-century history of observatories making their telescopes available to secret detector/sensor development projects in exchange for some limited scientific use of the new, hot, and otherwise unavailable new tech.  If this is the situation, and if the largely depopulated observatory had some unauthorized outsider get in after hours and end up in a place they should not be, then I can imagine the feds entering immediately and not wanting to talk about it.

That would be my guess, but it is strictly a guess.  I probably know people who know more, and maybe I can pass on more at some future time.

7 hours ago, RDU Neil said:

locked there by his dog, maybe?

Read the article.  Electronic door locks would not release if the engine wasn't started, presumably to energize the entire system.  The car failed to start.  Yes, there's a manual door release...but on the floor. Quite possibly not well marked, even potentially covered.  And the owner's manual wasn't in the car...how many of us keep the owner's manual after 10 years?

The driver has to share some of the burden here, but there's also notable design issues.  The engine should not have to be started to manipulate the doors.

On other notes...Australia is also considering a bill to require security backdoors into cell phones/apps, and force phone makers and service providers to help them decrypt on demand.  Now, combine this with their Crime and Corruption Commission, which can summon you into a criminal hearing about which you cannot talk.  YOU are gagged by the order itself.  It's a star chamber of the first order.  Combine that with excessive surveillance...and that's serious trouble.

Last but not least...the female cop in Dallas who entered the wrong apartment has been charged with manslaughter.