In other news...

tkdguy

Mammal, bird, fish and reptile populations have fallen on average by 60% since 1970, finds a World Wildlife Fund (WWF) report involving 59 scientists from around the world. “If there was a 60% decline in the human population, that would be equivalent to emptying North America, South America, Africa, Europe, China and Oceania. That is the scale of what we have done,” says Mike Barrett, executive director of science and conservation at the WWF.

7 hours ago, Badger said:

Reducing the human population by 60%, would probably be called saving the planet.

7 hours ago, Badger said:

Actually, it is a better argument than you might think for those who want to, when you consider while those species have been going downhill since 1970, what have humans been doing? :fear:

Except humanity is already doing that:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sub-replacement_fertility

The whole Idea of the Human Population explosin was solid with 1960's data, but it is no longer supported today.

Today you mostly hear it from Racists/Anti Imigration Fanatics that want to make a argument around "Population exchange" or some such nonsense. Who else would bring up a 60 year old, overturned Theory?

That one was only the size of your palm.  And also fictional.

I've always wondered what you're supposed to do if you find something like this.  You pick up an emerald the size of a soccer ball, a lot of people are going to be pretty interested in... carrying it for you.  How do you claim ownership?  How do you enforce your claim?  How do you keep from getting relieved of your find and permanently silenced?

19 hours ago, Cancer said:

5655 carat emerald found in Zambia

That's over 1 kg, bigger than your fist.

It is eventually broken up and make into potentially hundreds of gem-quality stones. I have to wonder what quality of gem you get from a stone that big, but owning a piece of "The Lion Emerald" would be a great conversation starter..

18 hours ago, Old Man said:

I've always wondered what you're supposed to do if you find something like this.  You pick up an emerald the size of a soccer ball, a lot of people are going to be pretty interested in... carrying it for you.  How do you claim ownership?  How do you enforce your claim?  How do you keep from getting relieved of your find and permanently silenced?

You quietly sell it to a gem dealer. Unless, of course, it's as big as the Ritz-Carlton Hotel.

On the global warming front...

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/environmental-impact-cryptocurrency-mining,38023.html

Because mining rigs are centered on honkin' big, fast graphics cards...they run the parallel operations better than general-use CPUs.  But they're POWER HUNGRY, and quite often, this is ALL they're doing.  I've never worried about buying a high-end graphics card cuz I don't do games that need them, but I did watch the ads and availability issues.  Prices did SKYROCKET and no one ever kept any in stock.

And now...the concern is the energy consumption just from this may well contribute notably to global warming.  Lest ye scoff...how many people actually *realize* the energy cost from running their systems full-out 24/7?  They see the allure of "free money"...not the actual cost.  And given the sheer number of GITS who scrabble desperately for pocket change.....I can see the problem..........

12 hours ago, unclevlad said:

On the global warming front...

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/environmental-impact-cryptocurrency-mining,38023.html

Because mining rigs are centered on honkin' big, fast graphics cards...they run the parallel operations better than general-use CPUs.  But they're POWER HUNGRY, and quite often, this is ALL they're doing.  I've never worried about buying a high-end graphics card cuz I don't do games that need them, but I did watch the ads and availability issues.  Prices did SKYROCKET and no one ever kept any in stock.

And now...the concern is the energy consumption just from this may well contribute notably to global warming.  Lest ye scoff...how many people actually *realize* the energy cost from running their systems full-out 24/7?  They see the allure of "free money"...not the actual cost.  And given the sheer number of GITS who scrabble desperately for pocket change.....I can see the problem..........

122 MJ for Mining Alluminium?

That figure fits for "mining + refining". If you cut out the energy used for Transport and the like. In the US only. At wich point all the other figures sound suspect.

Smells like someone is comparing apples with yorkshire terriers during the quotation :)

That bitcoin mining needs energy is nothing new. I knew this before the current craze began. But without comparing it to the banking sector, there is no comparision worth doing:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bitcoin#Energy_consumption

Right now Bitcoins actually seem to support the development of renewable energy. As for pooled mining in general: Bitcoin is designed so that the mining yield halves every 4 years. By 2020 it halves from 12.5/Block. At wich point the operational overhead will propably lower the size of many Bitcoin mining pools.