In other news...

tkdguy

2 hours ago, Scott Ruggels said:

Just on the aesthetic level, I consider that an improvement.

3 hours ago, Old Man said:

Ion-driven drones capable of hauling enough optics to effectively peep from fifty stories up are a ways off.  I think.

Are you kidding? Once that footage is on YouTube, drone hackers are going to attempt every combination of battery and material to get something FPV capable within 6 years. 

1 hour ago, Pariah said:

Oh, and its not great for quality of life on the planet, either.

Federal report says climate change will wallop U.S. economy

Except it may be backwards and far worse. 

http://electroverse.net/professor-valentina-zharkova-breaks-her-silence-and-confirms-super-grand-solar-minimum/?fbclid=IwAR0UrPm-Jkg0TBzdi3oyTbmRHfpEiyv9_uL8aVzHk-2CpZFVLHD2fXC9mDo

Fallen Angels scenario? 

14 hours ago, Pariah said:

Oh, and its not great for quality of life on the planet, either.

Federal report says climate change will wallop U.S. economy

There is an animated documentary (yes, that is a thing) I watched a while back called There's No Tomorrow. It was exactly what it said on the tin -- all about the problems related to the fact that we're going to run out of oil.someday. Their premise was that none of the plans proposed or proposable for replacing oil can possibly help and that when it runs out technological civilization will die, as will most of homo sapiens.

Very grim stuff, and I don't know just how paranoid that is. If we have reach a [point of no return for climate change (and we seem to be hurtling towards that point at breakneck speed) what alleviation measures are possible so that we can at the very least reduce the number of fatalities?

I don’t think that’s an issue now that solar and wind are cheaper than coal and nuclear. In fact it is cheaper to build new renewable power than it is to maintain a coal plant. The biggest obstacle to abandoning fossil fuels altogether is the transportation industry, which accounts for about 1/3 of fossil consumption.  But even there, companies are rapidly ramping up battery production even as battery R&D keeps making breakthroughs. 

Honestly the the situation with renewable energy is progressing so rapidly it’s hard to keep up. Anything you read more than two years ago may be completely erroneous in its conclusions.