In other news...

tkdguy

9 hours ago, Sociotard said:

A Dutch man sues the government to have his official age lowered twenty years. He says his official age doesn't match how he identifies himself.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-46133262

I kind of wonder if it is a stunt. i.e. he doesn't respect other kinds of identity, and is making a silly point. Like that lawmaker who opposed the argument that marriage had to be heterosexual because marriage was there to make babies, and so submitted a bill to annul any marriage that did not create children in a set amount of time. 

" A Dutch "positivity trainer" has launched a legal battle to change his age and boost his dating prospects. "
How was it even in question that this was just a publicity stunt?

The comparision was also flawed. You can change your gender because it has no legal effect. If anything it having effect is the cause for legal action.

Your age however does have legal effect. When you turn 18 maters, when you reach pension age maters.

If he deletes the first 20 years, would he still be a Dutch Citizen? That was the time he was born to his parents and turned 18. The times where most people get their Citizenship/first personal document.

4 hours ago, Sociotard said:

"The latest case has triggered a fierce debate online, with many describing Ritsuko Tanaka’s actions as “heartless” and condemning her for being “as ungrateful as you can get”.

Others have expressed understanding of the strain she must have been under caring for a person with a degenerative mind disease with little money and probably little help from health authorities."

I fall into the later category. Caring for a person with Alzheimers is way past normal. If he is already at "does not remember his own name", it is a severe case. A person that never had such a relative, can not truly evaluate it. My mother once had a book about one case being documented. I only managed to skim it. I did not need more the simualte it.

When the cared for person starts attacking you physically and verbally because he does not recognise you, that can break just about anyone. And if she was out of worker that was either caused by the caring. Or came on top of that.

It is worth noting that my country germany has several guidelines on dealing with Dementia - both in yourself and in relatives - that are avalible in print free of charge:

https://www.bundesgesundheitsministerium.de/fileadmin/Dateien/5_Publikationen/Pflege/Broschueren/Ratgeber_Demenz.pdf
https://www.bundesgesundheitsministerium.de/fileadmin/Dateien/Publikationen/Pflege/Berichte/Abschlussbericht_Leuchtturmprojekt_Demenz.pdf

I'm terrified of developing dementia/Alzheimers.  My grandmother suffered from it when I was just a child -- and watching her deteriorate while both my grandfather AND father turned their backs on her just was heartbreaking. And I couldn't do anything to help her...:(

OK, something a bit less depressing.

Otter Wanted For Devouring Koi At Formal Garden May Have Made A Clean Getaway

9 hours ago, Christopher said:

" A Dutch "positivity trainer" has launched a legal battle to change his age and boost his dating prospects. "
How was it even in question that this was just a publicity stunt?

The comparision was also flawed. You can change your gender because it has no legal effect. If anything it having effect is the cause for legal action.

Your age however does have legal effect. When you turn 18 maters, when you reach pension age maters.

If he deletes the first 20 years, would he still be a Dutch Citizen? That was the time he was born to his parents and turned 18. The times where most people get their Citizenship/first personal document.

I'm assuming the Dutch have some analogue to Social Security payments. Were I the Dutch Government, I'd be tempted to agree to his proposal, just to say "no take-backs" when he wanted to retire.

1 hour ago, Cygnia said:

I'm terrified of developing dementia/Alzheimers.  My grandmother suffered from it when I was just a child -- and watching her deteriorate while both my grandfather AND father turned their backs on her just was heartbreaking. And I couldn't do anything to help her...:(

OK, something a bit less depressing.

Otter Wanted For Devouring Koi At Formal Garden May Have Made A Clean Getaway

I love the fishes 'cause they're so delicious

Gotta go fishin'!

I could eat them every day

Go Team Otter!

My big worry is Parkinson's since it flows on both sides of the family.  (Alzheimers is even scarier, but it doesn't have the possible grip genetically that Parkinsons has)

There has been a couple of cases of dementia (not Alzheimers to my knowledge) in the family, but it didn't occur until the relative was in their mid-80s.

10 hours ago, Sociotard said:

I'm assuming the Dutch have some analogue to Social Security payments. Were I the Dutch Government, I'd be tempted to agree to his proposal, just to say "no take-backs" when he wanted to retire.

He did offer to "undo his retirement" as part of the deal. But there is still enough legal asumptions that 65 is followed by 66, not 46.

Depending on wich year he undoes, he eitehr has to pay a ton of Social Benefits back. Or looses his citizenship.

At best I would allow him to take out specific years of his life. At worst, I would force him to cut it off either at the beginning or the end. With every last effect that applies here.

10 hours ago, Cygnia said:

I do not blame her Husband and Son. Even people whose job is caretaking, can only do that in shifts.

I just hope I have the option to voluntarily end my life if I develop it. My mind is the most important thing for me. Living without it is not a nice prospect. While it is still true that Life > Death, Life + Suffering < Death. I need to a add a whole lot more stuff on the negative sides before I would want to "thought it out".