In other news...

tkdguy

Yeah, there's much more variation in the jet stream these days.  Warm air is hitting the Arctic more, which leads to displacement of cold air.  It also accelerates ice melt...which is itself a feedback cycle.   Both water and (clearly) bare ground absorb more solar radiation than ice, which is highly reflective.

Personally, I think it's already too late because the world can't suddenly turn on a dime to radically reduce greenhouse gas emissions.  The question isn't if we'll have massive problems, it's how bad they'll be.  And I'd say this even if the US was leading the reduction efforts, rather than the exact reverse.

20 hours ago, Cancer said:

Admirable prototype...

... but needs more VX and flesh-dissolving plague bacilli.

Ah. That explains it.

I was wondering why I had a Video about "Package Thief vs. Glitter Bomb Trap" video in my Youtube suggested videos for a few updates. Particulary the one in the Article. Must have been the NASA/Space connection.

This may become the motivation needed to start radically improving security WRT IoT:

https://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2018/12/19/baby-monitor-hacked-threat-houston-vpx.hln

Parents panic when a man threatens to kidnap their kid?  HECK yeah.  ABSOLUTELY makes perfect sense.  This is the kind of low-level, lizard-brain FEAR, tho, that can push an industry that's been pretty lax into doing more.  AND into improving consumer education, because it has to be said that the parents *may not* have been practicing good home internet security.

Not to in any way excuse or condone such abuses... but IMHO when you deny people access to a fundamental human interaction, and then place them in positions of authority over vulnerable minors, you create a breeding ground for this kind of behavior, over and above the normal temptations humans are subject to.

1 hour ago, death tribble said:

meanwhile in the cause of ruing Christmas, someone has been overflying Gatwick airport with drones

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-46623754

See, here  we would hand beer and guns to the passengers, tell them to fire way at their own risk, and turn it into a party

okay not really but I can imagine it

1 hour ago, Hermit said:

See, here  we would hand beer and guns to the passengers, tell them to fire way at their own risk, and turn it into a party

okay not really but I can imagine it

If the drones were flying over a private airstrip in the States? That wouldn't surprise me in the slightest. ;)

On 12/20/2018 at 12:28 AM, unclevlad said:

This may become the motivation needed to start radically improving security WRT IoT:

https://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2018/12/19/baby-monitor-hacked-threat-houston-vpx.hln

Parents panic when a man threatens to kidnap their kid?  HECK yeah.  ABSOLUTELY makes perfect sense.  This is the kind of low-level, lizard-brain FEAR, tho, that can push an industry that's been pretty lax into doing more.  AND into improving consumer education, because it has to be said that the parents *may not* have been practicing good home internet security.

In germany we just recently classified a baby doll (Cayla) as "Surveilance Equipment":

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-39002142

Meaning only spy agencies are allowed to use it.

However the claims it has to be "destroyed" is not quite true. The plastic parts are not the issue. As long as the espionage capacity is properly disabeled and you got the proof (yes we have a formular for "was de-spied"), you can keep the otuside.

17 hours ago, death tribble said:

meanwhile in the cause of ruing Christmas, someone has been overflying Gatwick airport with drones

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-46623754

I guess it is lucky that there are a few "save for civilian use" solutions comming out of the woodworks now:

19 hours ago, L. Marcus said:

Rush is a band, right?

Or was.

Was.

OLD time band.  As in, goes back to 1974.  It can't be considered a surprise;  the guys are in their mid 60s now.  Physical problems accumulate;  a touring lifestyle is also not easy to do in a healthy way.  The wiki article on them mentions psoriatic arthritis for Lifeson and tendinitis for Peart.  Plus the foot trouble (which makes me think complications from diabetes) for Peart.  

But yeah...another of the bands of my youth effectively gone.  Can't say I was a huge Rush fan, but much of their repertoire wasn't exactly radio-friendly as I recall.

12 minutes ago, unclevlad said:

OLD time band.  As in, goes back to 1974. 

Cancer squints disapprovingly at the young punk *  Technically they started in 1968, but the long-enduring lineup came in mid-1974....

If you'd used all-lower-case "old", or initial-capital "Old", you'd be OK.  All-upper-case "OLD" doesn't apply to bands that started while (or after) I was in middle school.

Get offa my lawn.  :idjit:

I saw that about the dates...but that was also when they were in high school.  Go with the stable config date.

And yes...yes, that still means OLD school.  If you use '68 as the date...I entered 5th grade that year.  Whether that counts as middle school or not depends on structure.  It was middle school for that system.

We're fossils, dude.  It's ok.