In other news...

tkdguy

It's early January, and it's eighty-two degrees with 90 percent humidity.  The sun is a white-hot dagger in the eyes if you look anywhere but down.  Concrete and black asphalt both are mirrors of heat and light, and colors barely discernable through agonizing glare. 

I think you may have cause and effect reversed. 

;)

Duke 

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/07/health/robin-lovell-badge-gene-edited-babies-intl/index.html

You probably heard the story a couple months ago.  This article goes into more detail.

One big aspect for me that is so seriously cringeworthy, is that this guy is shown to be everything you could ever want in a movie Bad Scientist villain.  In real life.  He massively empowers every anti-science, science can't be trusted, shut down science radical out there.

12 hours ago, unclevlad said:

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/07/health/robin-lovell-badge-gene-edited-babies-intl/index.html

You probably heard the story a couple months ago.  This article goes into more detail.

One big aspect for me that is so seriously cringeworthy, is that this guy is shown to be everything you could ever want in a movie Bad Scientist villain.  In real life.  He massively empowers every anti-science, science can't be trusted, shut down science radical out there. 

Crispr seems to have empowered these kinds of Idiots. And china never had any care to begin with:

In something a bit less disgusting.......

In tennis news, Andy Murray has said in an interview that this Aussie Open (starts in 2 days) may be his last tournament...period.  He has basically been shelved since his hip problems became too severe in the summer of 2017.  

Tennis Channel is quoting him from an interview:  "Even putting shoes and socks on is causing pain."  He was never my favorite;  too moody, a little too whiny.  That said:  his biggest enemy was himself .  You can never argue his passion.

Youch.  I would never have predicted he'd be forced off the scene before Nadal, altho I'm concerned Rafa's got very little time left either.  He had to pull out of pre-AO events...after the end-year layoff.  That does not bode well that he can even play through the clay court season.  Murray's only 31. 

12 hours ago, tkdguy said:

End of the "Big Four" of Tennis, then?

Djokovic seems to be going strong, but Federer is getting up there -- his skill and sense are still there, but the grind is taking a toll. Problem is that in North America at least, the women's game gets all the attention (because Serena Williams is such a transformational athlete). Very few Americans who aren't really keen on tennis could even recognize Djokovic's name.