In other news...

tkdguy

It did say it was on a landed estate and thus you could conceivably have a falconer there.

Otherwise I would tell you that you could own a lion if you were English. Except that this is true and someone bought a lion from the Harrods Department Store in the 70s. 

"Harrod's. For all your exotic wildlife needs!"

Louisiana politician.

(When I worked for the insurance company, I found it amusing, and indicative, that (at that time) every person to hold the office of Insurance Commissioner in Louisiana had been subsequently convicted of federal racketeering charges.

It was unspoken but taken for granted this would happen to the officeholder-at-the-time about the time he left office.)

I remember after my folks relocated to Kentucky, I was nineteen, but stayed in the midwest. I went to visit them, and someone explained to me that some people might be a bit paranoid because there were rumors of blonde haired blue eyed men abducting children and raising them as satanists(I'm blonde haired and blue eyed). And an actual case of a politician winning some local position by buying votes with liquor and cash.

Honestly, I couldn't even concieve of either thing being something that people did or believed in the real world.

After returning home to the midwest, I was talking with some friends, and I told them about the roving satanist story, and one of them shook his head. Apparently, his parents and half the people he grew up around believed the same stuff.

I kind of wonder if there's a lot of now older people telling their grandkids, "You kids don't know how easy you have it. When I was a kid, we didn't have cell phones and video games. You were lucky if you made it to the end of your street without the satanists getting you."

Actually, that might make a really good, semi-campy game. Set in the eighties.

Considering that back in that time the media presentation that made D&D a manifestation of satanism, that makes me one of those satanists who would "get" your kids.

Didn't seem I was having anything close to that much fun back then....

Considering that back in that time the media presentation that made D&D a manifestation of satanism, that makes me one of those satanists who would "get" your kids.

Didn't seem I was having anything close to that much fun back then....

So you claim...

Portland has had the coldest winter it's had in a very long time. And it's taking a serious toll on our homeless population. Even though the city and county have opened several emergency warming shelters, at least four homeless people have frozen to death this winter. IMHO this should not be happening. But I wonder how much this is happening in other cities that are having even colder winters (such as cities in the Midwest).

Portland has had the coldest winter it's had in a very long time. And it's taking a serious toll on our homeless population. Even though the city and county have opened several emergency warming shelters, at least four homeless people have frozen to death this winter. IMHO this should not be happening. But I wonder how much this is happening in other cities that are having even colder winters (such as cities in the Midwest).

I haven't seen anything about deaths among the homeless population in our area during this weather pattern. Or anything at all about it in 2017.

There is an item about the CY2016 deaths among the homeless in King County.

Portlanders may be unique among American cities in actually caring about their homeless population or considering them to be human beings.

IIRC Salt Lake City built free homes for their homeless. I'm not sure how the program fared though it had showed initial promise of actually lowering the costs of taking care of them.

Edit: State of Utah, and it was for a smaller percentage of "Chronic" Homeless.

http://www.npr.org/2015/12/10/459100751/utah-reduced-chronic-homelessness-by-91-percent-heres-how

Ha.  I got sucked into a bible discussion a few weeks back when I dropped the kids off at Sunday school.  It started out uncomfortable, then became hilarious when the discussion turned to homelessness.  According to Christ, it's wrong to give free food or medical assistance to the homeless, because it just encourages them to be lazy and dependent on aid.  Homeless people choose to be addicted, or jobless, or mentally ill, you see.  Perhaps my copy of the Bible is out of date?  Anyway I can't make waves because my kids go there, but it was the most educational church event I have ever attended.

According to Christ, it's wrong to give free food or medical assistance to the homeless, because it just encourages them to be lazy and dependent on aid.  Homeless people choose to be addicted, or jobless, or mentally ill, you see.

Yep, that sounds like a perfect example of Christianity as practiced in today's world.

Ha.  I got sucked into a bible discussion a few weeks back when I dropped the kids off at Sunday school.  It started out uncomfortable, then became hilarious when the discussion turned to homelessness.  According to Christ, it's wrong to give free food or medical assistance to the homeless, because it just encourages them to be lazy and dependent on aid.  Homeless people choose to be addicted, or jobless, or mentally ill, you see.  Perhaps my copy of the Bible is out of date?  Anyway I can't make waves because my kids go there, but it was the most educational church event I have ever attended.

I don’t generally do this, but I feel the need to correct a misconception. Although there are self identified “Christians” who believe that the poor, sick, imprisoned or homeless are not their problem, they are specifically ignoring Jesus’ teachings.

Matthew 25:34 -25:46

"Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:  For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in: Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me. Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink? When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee? Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee? And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me. 

Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels: For I was an hungred, and ye gave me no meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me no drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me not in: naked, and ye clothed me not: sick, and in prison, and ye visited me not. Then shall they also answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto thee? Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me. And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal."

There are many other passages, but this is my favorite. I’m not asking anyone to change their beliefs, but if people want to talk about what Jesus taught, they should know what He actually taught. And I now withdraw from the discussion.