In other news...

tkdguy

Ha.  I got sucked into a bible discussion a few weeks back when I dropped the kids off at Sunday school.  It started out uncomfortable, then became hilarious when the discussion turned to homelessness.  According to Christ, it's wrong to give free food or medical assistance to the homeless, because it just encourages them to be lazy and dependent on aid.  Homeless people choose to be addicted, or jobless, or mentally ill, you see.  Perhaps my copy of the Bible is out of date?  Anyway I can't make waves because my kids go there, but it was the most educational church event I have ever attended.

Yep, that sounds like a perfect example of Christianity as practiced in today's world.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BALHZUbgDxP/

Old Man, why do your kids go to Sunday School at this particular church? If they have this kind of belief about one of Christianity's core tenets (responsibility to others), what other beliefs do they have on other tenets that are just as significant?

There are many other passages, but this is my favorite. I’m not asking anyone to change their beliefs, but if people want to talk about what Jesus taught, they should know what He actually taught. And I now withdraw from the discussion.

I wasn't talking about "what the Bible says Jesus said". I was talking about "what Christians in the US believe." We recently had a widely publicized event (I'm sure you've heard of it) in which the Christians of the United States stood up in great numbers and declared in one voice that the person who best represents them is Donald Trump.

You can point to the Bible. Great. I'm pointing to your fellow believers and what THEY say. Maybe you should be telling THEM "what He actually taught."

Considering that back in that time the media presentation that made D&D a manifestation of satanism, that makes me one of those satanists who would "get" your kids.

Didn't seem I was having anything close to that much fun back then....

I was just wondering.  I wonder how much the D&D scare killed the D&D cartoon.  I know my mother didn't let me watch it, after my church went crazy over the Satanic Panic.

Old Man, why do your kids go to Sunday School at this particular church?

Because the wife would throw one of her epic hissy fits if they didn't.  And it's the closest branch of the oldest, largest, guilt-trippiest, franchise of Christianity, to which she subscribes.

I should stress that there were no actual clergy present at this discussion, just typical members of the congregation.

Because the wife would throw one of her epic hissy fits if they didn't.  And it's the closest branch of the oldest, largest, guilt-trippiest, franchise of Christianity, to which she subscribes.

I should stress that there were no actual clergy present at this discussion, just typical members of the congregation.

I don't have a problem with God, it's His fan clubs that I can't stand.

Ringling Brothers Circus to close after 146 years.

More quietly, it looks as though the Cole Bros. Circus closed in 2016. They wintered in the town where I grew up, and I'd seen them when I was a kid. They were one of the last circuses to use a big top tent (my church would borrow that tent for a parish festival fundraiser every year).

In between widespread animal abuse and the increasingly untenable value of the traditional art of clowning, I am not surprised. We now see completely different types of circuses flourishing, that blur the line between acrobatic display and artistic expression, and which for the most part don't use or train animals.

In between widespread animal abuse and the increasingly untenable value of the traditional art of clowning, I am not surprised. We now see completely different types of circuses flourishing, that blur the line between acrobatic display and artistic expression, and which for the most part don't use or train animals.

No, it's not surprising, and, beyond a bit of childhood nostalgia, I won't really miss it.

I've similar feelings about Sea World. My Dad worked with the design team on the original show tanks for the Orlando park, and we went to an invite-only preview day before the park opened in the Fall of 1973. But I have no desire to go back to any of their parks now.

Although it would be probably result in catastrophe if humans do in fact gain the ability to micro-manage local weather conditions.

I remember a short story in Analog back about 1970 about artificial weather control creating a flash flood. It was to repel an invasion, but that was fiction. Catastrophe is the word.