In other news...

tkdguy

24 minutes ago, Michael Hopcroft said:

Apparently the hot new trend is "raw water": water that has been bottled without any of the treatment that bottled and even tap water normally goes through and thus is chock full of everything in the old-fashioned stuff that can make you sick or dead. It you want to pay half a hundred bucks for a drink that can kill you, there are people who will fill that need.

Oh great flaming spheres of stupid

4 hours ago, Ragitsu said:

On New Year's Eve, at least one TV station kept playing a commercial reminding folks that DUI also includes marijuana as well as alcohol.

Also, prices for recreational marijuana can be quite steep, about $100-$200 per ounce. But I'm sure smaller amounts can be sold for less.

29 minutes ago, tkdguy said:

On New Year's Eve, at least one TV station kept playing a commercial reminding folks that DUI also includes marijuana as well as alcohol.

Of course it does. In other news, water is wet.

I am baffeled: How was that ever not clear for anyone?

Literally the first 2 out of 14 Chapters of the german driving book is about all the things that make one incapable of driving: Wearing a cast, Alcohol, Medicine, Drugs, being too tired, stress, strong emotions, self images of the driver. Both with realworld images and caricatures to illustrate it.

11 hours ago, Christopher said:

Of course it does. In other news, water is wet.

I am baffeled: How was that ever not clear for anyone?

Literally the first 2 out of 14 Chapters of the german driving book is about all the things that make one incapable of driving: Wearing a cast, Alcohol, Medicine, Drugs, being too tired, stress, strong emotions, self images of the driver. Both with realworld images and caricatures to illustrate it.

There still are "don't drink and drive" commercials, even though everyone knows it's illegal. It's still a major concern every major holiday, especially New Year's Eve. So "don't smoke pot and drive" commercials logically follow. Someone is still going to do it. They did it even when marijuana was illegal. 

I've always thought it would be an interesting to have a biopic of Chiune Sugihara (saving Jews in Lithuania) and John Rabe (saving Chinese civilians in Nanking).  Just hop back and forth between the stories of a Japanese official saving people from Nazis and a Nazi saving people from the Japanese.

55 minutes ago, Pattern Ghost said:

According to one New Yorker reporter, Trump is Making China Great Again. I haven't finished the article, but heard an interview with the author on NPR in the car yesterday. He made some interesting observations.

The leaders of North Korea only stay in power because they keep telling their people "America wants to destroy us". Having sound and twitter bytes from Trump talking about using nuclear weapons should keep them in power for 40 more years.

Mormon Church President THomas S. Monson (revered as a prophet by believers) has died at the age of 90 after nearly ten years in office.

A successor will be names after his funeral in two weeks. Traditionally the office goes to the longest-serving Apostle (difficult to explain), who is currently 93-year-old surgeon Russell M. Nelson.. Nelson is a pioneering cardiologist who was involved in the research that led to open-heart surgery.

Back when my father set up a rabbit slaughterhouse (long story), he had a well drilled to supply water. It was costly: The driller had to go down more than 300 feet to find the water table. But the water never tested as anything but sterile within the limits of the state testers' accuracy. So "raw water" isn't an intrinsically stupid idea. You just have to be really, really careful where you get it and how it's handled.

The article does not mention where these "raw water" companies obtain and bottle their product. Without that information, I wouldn't trust it for a second.

Dean Shomshak