In other news...

tkdguy

51 minutes ago, Sociotard said:

Hey look, draconian enforcement and confiscation of property by police . . . and they aren't American!

Dutch Police to Confiscate Clothes from People Who Look Too Poor to Wear Them

Here, I looked up local coverage, for those who don't care for National Review

Critics slam Rotterdam police plan to confiscate expensive clothes

That is largely their plan. How much they are actually allowed to confiscate legally is another mater altogether.

Of course this is one of those cases, where even in context it will propably still sound like a stupid idea. So there is definetly that.

14 hours ago, Pattern Ghost said:

Doctor Poo Clones Monkeys

One step closer to human cloning. Spare parts for us old farts!

Since (contrary to popular belief) clones don't grow up at an accelerated rate, you would need about twenty-five years of a head start before any of those parts are ready to use, during which time the clone would develop her own personality and live her own life (If I am not mistaken, there have yet to be any male clones). If you turn around after all that time and say "Give me your liver! You have no choice!", you are commiting a massively immoral act -- and the clone is unlikely to be cooperative.

2 hours ago, Michael Hopcroft said:

Since (contrary to popular belief) clones don't grow up at an accelerated rate, you would need about twenty-five years of a head start before any of those parts are ready to use, during which time the clone would develop her own personality and live her own life (If I am not mistaken, there have yet to be any male clones). If you turn around after all that time and say "Give me your liver! You have no choice!", you are commiting a massively immoral act -- and the clone is unlikely to be cooperative.

We made a movie about that concept:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Island_(2005_film)

41 minutes ago, Sociotard said:

They are of course "pro family values". Anti gay rights. Anti Patchwork Family.

One of the party leaders is a married Lesbian, with a child from first marriage. A former leader was having her 5th child, from the afair she married.

You simply can not make shit like that up.

13 hours ago, Michael Hopcroft said:

Since (contrary to popular belief) clones don't grow up at an accelerated rate, you would need about twenty-five years of a head start before any of those parts are ready to use,

Yes, yes. That's why it's good that they're starting now. Also, you only need to age one to about 9 to 12 for it to develop an adult-sized brain holder. So, if they also get cracking on brain transplant research too, by the time I hit old age I'll be all set to go through puberty again. It's simple, really. Don't you even think these things through, Michael?

Also, doesn't matter if they have a personality, that's gone with the brain. Duh.

As to the male clone issue: Look, if I get to have a whole second lifespan, that's fine. By the time on my next one, they'll likely have cracked the male clone  issue.I'll just have to be a prettier me for one turn. EDIT: Looks like they're already working this one out.

Seriously. I've got this all planned, quit being a Debbie Downer.

And thank you for being my straight man. I was waiting for someone to post something like that so I could follow up with this post. Well done.

3 hours ago, Christopher said:

They are of course "pro family values". Anti gay rights. Anti Patchwork Family.

One of the party leaders is a married Lesbian, with a child from first marriage. A former leader was having her 5th child, from the afair she married.

You simply can not make shit like that up.

What's a patchwork family?

Lucius Alexander

Pro palindromedary values

10 minutes ago, Hermit said:

I see your new tech and lay down old fossils!

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2018/01/25/580811109/new-fossil-found-in-israel-suggests-a-much-earlier-human-migration-out-of-africa

Now let's mix them and see if it's two great tastes that can taste great together!!

(Madscience laugh!)

It gets a bit weird towards the end, with stuff like:

"Genetic evidence suggests humans alive today have descended from a group of humans who left Africa about 60,000 years ago."

Something got a bit garbled there.

Aside from anything else, it would be interesting to know when the ancestors of the modern population of Africa returned to Africa...

The dating of the settlement of Australia is a bit of a problem here too.

6 hours ago, Lucius said:

What's a patchwork family?

Oh right, a english sounding term that is not actually used in English. Wo do have a lot of those in german.

"Stepfamily" seems to be the closest approximation. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stepfamily

But any family in wich the genetic parent of some children might no longer live with the family. It also extend to "raising children, but not married" and "having foster children".

The usual "failed lifemodel". In wich I was raised.

12 hours ago, assault said:

It gets a bit weird towards the end, with stuff like:

"Genetic evidence suggests humans alive today have descended from a group of humans who left Africa about 60,000 years ago."

Something got a bit garbled there.

Aside from anything else, it would be interesting to know when the ancestors of the modern population of Africa returned to Africa...

The dating of the settlement of Australia is a bit of a problem here too.

For a long time there was the notion that a population in Southern Africa (sub Saharan) didn't have any DNA markers from other homo species that failed to make the cut.  It's still true for neanderthal in their bloodline but evidence was found of non-neanderthral markers in this population more recently, though.

In any case - migration from Eurasia back to Africa was wide spread and continuous.  Wander out, interbreed with other things that looked compatible for a few thousand years, wander back.  Eventually adapt enough that the place you wander back to in generational wandering isn't as far away. That basically sums up human pre-history (and modern, really) in a nutshell.