In other news...

tkdguy

I can understand the discomfort of having something changed after you grew up with it, but if we want the word "planet" to have any meaning beyond "the things on this list", it had to be done. Science marches on, and gaining new knowledge usually means that old ideas have to be let go.

I wish we had the lightweight dystopia of Rollerball rather than what we have now.

Meanwhile, the mistaken ballistic missile alert from two weeks ago has resulted in the firing of the guy who pushed the button, the resignation of the department director and one other employee who quit rather than be disciplined, and the suspension of another employee.  It sounds as though the guy who pushed the button had a history of similar mistakes, which does make you wonder why he was still in the position.

10 hours ago, Old Man said:

Ironically, I am starting to hear icy dwarf planets being referred to as "Plutoids", meaning that Pluto wasn't demoted, but promoted to king of an entirely new species of celestial body.

Yeah, but like in mythology, he only gets to be king of the leftover

9 hours ago, Zeropoint said:

I can understand the discomfort of having something changed after you grew up with it, but if we want the word "planet" to have any meaning beyond "the things on this list", it had to be done. Science marches on, and gaining new knowledge usually means that old ideas have to be let go.

Seems I am going to have to go all William Wallace on everybody

"FOR PLUTO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Edit: And I can shoot lightning bolts out of my arse.......I just have to eat a bean burrito for lunch first.

On 27.1.2018 at 6:34 AM, Badger said:

I have heard supposedly one of the traits homo sapiens was theoretically supposed have gotten with cross-breeding with Neanderthals was red-hair.  Given my attraction to redheads should I be A)disturbed about myself or B)) thank them for their contribution?

Wasn't there a thread about "what if hte aliens reaching us are re-migrating Neaderthals?" a year or so ago? "But they look so similar" or something?

On 15.1.2018 at 6:53 PM, Sociotard said:

Somebody got fired.:

16 hours ago, Old Man said:

Meanwhile, the mistaken ballistic missile alert from two weeks ago has resulted in the firing of the guy who pushed the button, the resignation of the department director and one other employee who quit rather than be disciplined, and the suspension of another employee.  It sounds as though the guy who pushed the button had a history of similar mistakes, which does make you wonder why he was still in the position.

Are you going to properly appologize to the Public Unions now everywhere you claimed they were at fault/nobody would get fired?

What about all the places you mentioned "he will not get fired"? Will you correct yourself? Or will a ton of people continue to believe the delusion that he was not fired, riling them up more against a imagined foe?

2 minutes ago, Christopher said:

Somebody got fired.:

Are you going to properly appologize to the Public Unions now everywhere you claimed they were at fault/nobody would get fired?

What about all the places you mentioned "he will not get fired"? Will you correct yourself? Or will a ton of people continue to believe the delusion that he was not fired, riling them up more against a imagined foe?

You are right. Someone was fired. Public Unions did not save him.  I was premature. I was wrong. I am sorry.