In other news...

tkdguy

16 minutes ago, Sociotard said:

I don't  think prison will wipe the insufferable smug off his face.

Considering his own Lawayer said this:
"

"I've got my begging voice on," Shkreli's lawyer Benjamin Brafman told the judge on Friday, while acknowledging his client could be annoying.

"There are times when I want to hug him and hold him and comfort him and there are times when I want to punch him in the face," said Mr Brafman.

"

2 hours ago, Hermit said:

So China got rid of term limits so it can have El Presidante for life? 

Nothing bad can come of this

1 hour ago, Lord Liaden said:

The Chinese leadership was effectively an autocracy already. This just formalizes it.

In the current and former Communist states, term limits are for appearance's sake only.  After all, Vladimir Putin stepped down as President of the Russian Federation for a while, but continued to effectively rule the country as Prime Minister. Nobody questioned that he was still running the country with his hand-picked successor as President backing him up every step of the way. 

I still can;t make out China's strange brand of Communism. It bears little resemblance to what has gone before and virtually no resemblance to classical Marxism. The only common ground is the phobic dislike ofv possible dissent, along with the typical desire of Chinese leaders to avoid losing face by being openly criticized.

China's ruling party is Communist in name only. It's mainly a vehicle for the people in power to remain in power, and maintain control over the country. The government is pushing capitalism hard as a national goal, i.e. making money is good for the country. But they don't want any of the other elements from Western society, e.g. representative democracy, freedom of expression and information, and the like. The impression I get is that they figure if they create enough prosperity, the public won't be as insistent for social and political freedoms. (The money's not filtering out to the rural regions, but they aren't a priority to the current regime.)

Ironically, China's current system sounds a lot like fascism. Consider this definition of fascism from Merriam Webster: "a political philosophy, movement, or regime (such as that of the Fascisti) that exalts nation and often race above the individual and that stands for a centralized autocratic government headed by a dictatorial leader, severe economic and social regimentation, and forcible suppression of opposition ."