In other news...

tkdguy

Stamped my foot?  This would be more of a bad chili reaction.  But sadly, I am not responsible for this one.

The eruption is spreading; if this one goes the way prior eruptions have, that entire subdivision is going to be under six feet of fresh lava in a few months.

Through a crack in Mother Earth
Blazing hot, the molten rock, spills out over the land
And the lava's the lover who licks your boots away
Hey, hey, hey, if you don't want to boil as well
Be-be-better start the dance
D-d-do you want to dance with me?

3 hours ago, Zeropoint said:

Man, it's almost like living on a volcano is a bad idea.

But humanity keeps building in their vicinity, because the stuff they spread over the land makes for awesomely fertile soil. Besides, there's not a lot of terra firma across the Pacific, so you have to build where Nature provides it.

And yet there's still no shortage of people moving in around the San Andreas Fault. :fear:

I'm reminded of a guy in Pacific Northwest lore named Harry Truman. No relation to the president, though he was a contemporary. Truman was an old man who lived on the shore of Spirit Lake, a popular nature resort destination that happened to be on the foothills of Mount St. Helens in Washington State. When the long-dormant volcano revived, plans were made to evacuate Spirit Lake -- but Truman wouldn't go. either he didn't believe the danger was real or he didn't feel life would be worth living without Spirit Lake. He became a minor celebrity and a folk hero, whose stubbornness many admired.

We all know what happened next. The top of Mount St. Helens exploded, spreading ash and volcanic mud everywhere. The cloud of ash coated the entire Pacific Northwest and was carries downwind across the county. As for Spirit Lake, it almost immediately ceased to exist, swallowed by ash and superheated mud, and Harry Truman was never seen again. Even then, many praised him posthumously for defying the evacuation order at the cost of his own life.

" Long ago, a storm was heading for the city of Quin'lat. Everyone took protection within the walls except one man who remained outside. I went to him and asked what he was doing. "I am not afraid," the man said. "I will not hide my face behind stone and mortar. I will stand before the wind and make it respect me." I honored his choice and went back inside. The next day, the storm came, and the man was killed. The wind does not respect a fool."

- Kahless, Star Trek: The Next Generation, "Rightful Heir"

3 hours ago, Michael Hopcroft said:

I'm reminded of a guy in Pacific Northwest lore named Harry Truman. No relation to the president, though he was a contemporary. Truman was an old man who lived on the shore of Spirit Lake, a popular nature resort destination that happened to be on the foothills of Mount St. Helens in Washington State. When the long-dormant volcano revived, plans were made to evacuate Spirit Lake -- but Truman wouldn't go. either he didn't believe the danger was real or he didn't feel life would be worth living without Spirit Lake. He became a minor celebrity and a folk hero, whose stubbornness many admired.

We all know what happened next. The top of Mount St. Helens exploded, spreading ash and volcanic mud everywhere. The cloud of ash coated the entire Pacific Northwest and was carries downwind across the county. As for Spirit Lake, it almost immediately ceased to exist, swallowed by ash and superheated mud, and Harry Truman was never seen again. Even then, many praised him posthumously for defying the evacuation order at the cost of his own life.

I completely forget the location, but it was around 1900, some volcano got active.  Most of the old locals made fun of those that ran out for safety, because 50 years earlier there had been an active period, and nothing serious.  A few days later the thing blasted and took out the area, and of around 30,000 that remained, only 2 survived, one old guy on the edge of town, and some guy in the jail who was partially protected due to the jail's walls being thick, and he came out of the ordeal with severe burns.

Edit:  I think I found it.  May, 1902.  Mt. Pelee on the island of Martinique, town was called St. Pierre

15 hours ago, Michael Hopcroft said:

I have seen a documentary on the eruption and it does mention the gentleman in question. And the other people who died some of whom were monitoring the mountain. And you have the bit where the mountain collapsed as the volcano blew.

I feel sadder for Truman's dog who also died due to his owner's stubbornness.