In other news...

tkdguy

2 hours ago, Lawnmower Boy said:

Everything is fine! It's all under control.

these posts got me interested, so I've been watching he developments... the videos on Weather.com and places like that are just amazing... those overhead shots of the lava spill... further evidence of the impermanence of things.

3 hours ago, Starlord said:

Oompa Loompa doompadee doo
I've got another puzzle for you
Oompa Loompa doompadah dee
If you are wise you'll listen to me

What do you do when your truck, more or less,

Crashes and makes a chocolatey mess?

It's such a waste, losing cargo so sweet.

Leaving people to clean the street.

(It's like a giant candy bar.)

Oompa Loompa, doompadee dar
If you drive well, then you will go far.
You will live in happiness too
Like the Oompa Loompa doompadee do

I don't know if this counts as "news", but wow, I can relate to this article:

http://www.bbc.com/news/stories-43956366

If I saw somebody who I fancied, I didn't feel any excitement or pleasure - instead, my instant reaction was one of sadness and depression. I had a sense of hopelessness about it all.

I know how that feels.

Unlike the guy in the article, though, I have yet to find anyone special, at 41. Like him, I don't expect that I ever will.

15 hours ago, Zeropoint said:

If I saw somebody who I fancied, I didn't feel any excitement or pleasure - instead, my instant reaction was one of sadness and depression. I had a sense of hopelessness about it all.

I know how that feels.

Thanks for posting, and for an honest reaction. While this article doesn't describe me personally, that feeling described is something I think I lot of people carry with them, myself included. We have a close friend who is likely in this place in his life, and have no idea how, or if we should, broach the subject. It hurts to see him hurt, and to know how good he is at hiding it.

This bit, "I developed a deep feeling that it might be wrong to approach women and that it might be an imposition on them. I was certainly never going to be that guy who "used" women.

I felt women had the right to go about everyday life and enjoy a night out without having anyone approach them."    This really resonates. It is unfortunate how easy it is for polite courtesy can be synonymous with "invisible."

I had no idea about the "incel" culture, but I'm not surprised. The internet has shown itself to be a perfect catalyst for taking desperate/asocial/anti-social tendencies that were moslty isolated in the past, and forging a focused, brutal and often violent expression of them by connecting and allowing for unmitigated rage. It is so good at finding the hurt and pushing all the wrong buttons. 

On May 6, 2018 at 7:46 PM, Lord Liaden said:

But humanity keeps building in their vicinity, because the stuff they spread over the land makes for awesomely fertile soil. Besides, there's not a lot of terra firma across the Pacific, so you have to build where Nature provides it.

And yet there's still no shortage of people moving in around the San Andreas Fault. :fear:

If you go find the right panoramic pic of present-day Naples, you can see the development climbing the shoulders of Vesuvius.

Of course, I live close to the center of the fault that gave the Japanese a tsunami from a magnitude 9-er on January 29, 1700, and seems to toss such things off every three to four hundred years.

After visiting Tucson last weekend for the first time in 25 years, I was appalled by the amount of development there.  You'd think water fell from the sky or something.

14 hours ago, RDU Neil said:

Thanks for posting, and for an honest reaction. While this article doesn't describe me personally, that feeling described is something I think I lot of people carry with them, myself included. We have a close friend who is likely in this place in his life, and have no idea how, or if we should, broach the subject. It hurts to see him hurt, and to know how good he is at hiding it.

This bit, "I developed a deep feeling that it might be wrong to approach women and that it might be an imposition on them. I was certainly never going to be that guy who "used" women.

I felt women had the right to go about everyday life and enjoy a night out without having anyone approach them."    This really resonates. It is unfortunate how easy it is for polite courtesy can be synonymous with "invisible."

I had no idea about the "incel" culture, but I'm not surprised. The internet has shown itself to be a perfect catalyst for taking desperate/asocial/anti-social tendencies that were moslty isolated in the past, and forging a focused, brutal and often violent expression of them by connecting and allowing for unmitigated rage. It is so good at finding the hurt and pushing all the wrong buttons. 

Well, I pretty much gave up on relationships about 15 years ago (age mid-20s).  Cant say I regret it really.   Most of any "regret" is really via society's pressure on having to have a relationship.  My relationships' experience was limited anyway.  So, really, all that decision did was remove much of my daily anxiety towards interacting with women.

1 hour ago, Old Man said:

Society is actually really cruel to single people.

Well, I admit I feel lucky sometimes.  Given some of my male cousins and their wives.  Including one with a similar personality to mine, his wife was quite the manipulator.  Although, his experience doesn't necessarily factor into any decisions.  Given how alike we are it sometimes make me think of the expression "but for the grace of God, go I" (paraphrased).

Of course, that doesn't mean I think all women are like that to be sure.  But, it does say I might be similarly vulnerable.  And being the introvert I am, it really might be better to have never married, rather than married wrong.

Besides the introverted part of me loves its free time, and I know I'd lose a lot of it in a marriage.  :lol:   (and at this point I'm not one to change much).