In other news...

tkdguy

If it makes you guys feel any better, that one subdivision is thoroughly screwed.  One dude even got hit by flying lava!  It broke his leg.

If you're really lucky, the lava will soon overrun the nearby nuclear reactor geothermal plant, where they store used to store hundreds of tons of explosive solvents.

1 hour ago, Old Man said:

NuyWFDI.png

AND this is only one of the eight islands.  I'm waaaay off to the upper left of this picture.

OTOH, the place we rented for the week when we were on the Big Island four years ago is in the evacuation zone.  I haven't gone poring over maps to see if it has been engulfed.

5 minutes ago, Old Man said:

If it makes you guys feel any better, that one subdivision is thoroughly screwed.  One dude even got hit by flying lava!  It broke his leg.

If you're really lucky, the lava will soon overrun the nearby nuclear reactor geothermal plant, where they store used to store hundreds of tons of explosive solvents.

Sounds like I'm better off staying where I am and waiting for the Magnitude 9 earthquake.  The tsunami from that ought to paste your northwestern shores pretty well, too.

You might be waiting a while.  But then again you might not!  I'm not sure why the tsunami would focus on our northwestern shores when all the seismicity is on the southeast side of the southeastest island, but who can predict how a tsunami will turn out?

1 hour ago, Old Man said:

that one subdivision is thoroughly screwed

"Avengers Assemble! The subdivision is under grave threat! We have only two, maybe three weeks at best to save these suburbanites from a fate worse than... a broken leg!"

Well... maybe you are right. That still sounds better than Infinity War turned out to be. ?

3 hours ago, Starlord said:

So it doesn't look like the lava I saw at the school science fair?

You can safely see lava here at Bishop Museum; they make some every couple or three hours as a demo.

They don't let you throw anything into it though, which sort of defeats the purpose.

7 hours ago, Cancer said:

Sounds like I'm better off staying where I am and waiting for the Magnitude 9 earthquake.  The tsunami from that ought to paste your northwestern shores pretty well, too.

I'll stick to living in VA, where the only likely natural disasters are an odd tornado or a once in a generation hurricane.  (and an earthquake once a century)

2 hours ago, Badger said:

I'll stick to living in VA, where the only likely natural disasters are an odd tornado or a once in a generation hurricane.  (and an earthquake once a century)

But VA itself is kind of a perpetual self-disaster.  Not on the scale of, say, Florida.  But still.

8 hours ago, dmjalund said:

there's this book on how to escape a volcano.

its called: How to Leave your Lava

8 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

There must be fifty ways...

Just move outta Leilani, Johnny, get outta Kapoho, Joe,
Don't need to stay there, Cher, just listen to me,
Get a moving truck, Chuck, 'cause the lava don't give a f**k,
Just find a new place, Jace, and get yourself free.