In other news...

tkdguy

2 hours ago, RDU Neil said:

" who would win in a fight: Hawkeye or Green Arrow? Aquaman or Sub-Mariner? "

AQUAMAN, Kareem! Duh!

Why is he trying to provoke me with this? :)

On 5/26/2018 at 7:45 AM, Badger said:

So, 2045 is when Skynet destroys the world, I'll mark it on my calendar.

Don't worry. 

Once they start marrying each other they will be too busy fighting over where to store the cutlery to bother about us. 

But if we want to be doubly sure we can send them some cushions. 

13 minutes ago, Hermit said:

Yup. I called that one a long time ago. Maybe if it happens enough, the US govt will get a clue about student loan debt etc.

That will take a change in the perception of students by university administrators as their privilege and responsibility to educate, rather than primarily as a source of revenue. Frankly I don't see that happening any time soon.

I accept that the current US education-debt needs addressed. I do think that any argument for making the taxpayers distribute the burden needs to be open about the restrictions that make that feasible where practiced.  For example, Germany doesn't pay for just anyone to get just any degree.  They basically ration it out, so they don't wind up with too many film studies majors and not enough welders.

1 hour ago, Lord Liaden said:

That will take a change in the perception of students by university administrators as their privilege and responsibility to educate, rather than primarily as a source of revenue. Frankly I don't see that happening any time soon.

Administrators, boards of regents/trustees, and (for state schools) legislatures.  And voters, since public school funding is also in the slow-starvation levels.

And like you, I don't see that changing any time soon.

11 hours ago, Old Man said:

Have you seen what American college costs nowadays? My oldest is in middle school and I’m already looking into that European deal. 

I went to community college.

Note:

Not that all kids could do that for their career choices.  But, it would be a cheaper and more viable option, for more to go to for at least part of their education.

FWIW to everyone.

2 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

That title could apply to Keith Richards... except we all know he's been undead for years.

Nah, he is actually dead. Died back in the '80s. The message hasn't reached his brain through all the drugs yet.

6 hours ago, death tribble said:

Now here is an oddity. The punk singer who returned to life

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/stories-44374766

Some people may find game fodder in this -- which is actually sort of sad, because thirty years as a sick, paranoid fugitive is hardly what you would call a glamorous life.