In other news...

tkdguy

10 hours ago, Sociotard said:

$136 sounds really light. I suspect insurance companies will add a skosh to that.

The insurance company also has to take over all the other effects. Like all those car repairs and the cleanup.

It is easy to bash Insurance Companies, if you do not understand how important they are for a stable, modern economy:

https://youtu.be/GKtNuzakzMA?list=PLmKXQuG1OdOyGI0ZyjgiqMQW9r03Fs60k&t=215

I wasn't bashing. I was just saying at least some of those cars were covered, and the insurance companies aren't going to take the expence without a fight. Of course,  he is also likely to have his own insurance,  which may come into play.

Basically same as your comment.  Sorry if I came across as bashing. 

17 hours ago, Sociotard said:

$136 sounds really light. I suspect insurance companies will add a skosh to that.

In Oregon it used to be 450$ Differant  state though. It would have been fun to stop  by the shop, "what'd you find today?" "Wrote one driver for Improperly securing his balls"..."OK, I need more context..."

23 hours ago, Sociotard said:

13 hours ago, Christopher said:

The insurance company also has to take over all the other effects. Like all those car repairs and the cleanup.

It is easy to bash Insurance Companies, if you do not understand how important they are for a stable, modern economy:

https://youtu.be/GKtNuzakzMA?list=PLmKXQuG1OdOyGI0ZyjgiqMQW9r03Fs60k&t=215

I suspect he will also have to answer to whoever is paying him to drive the balls to Salt Lake. Those look expensive, and while companies are not especially cruel in circumstances like this they will want to know the whole story because they're taking a loss on it as well.

Insurance, especially on the industrial level, is economically vital. But when you take a loss, and the insurers thinks it's likely you will take another, it will have an effect.

My current temp job is with an insurance clearinghouse. My opinions about health insurance are at best complicated, as I'm not sure the insurance model is a particularly good way to pay for healthcare. Insurance is based on the notion of spreading risk, which is in turn based on the motion that most of your customers will never have a claim (at least not a major one) freeing their money to pay the claims you do get. But everyone will have accidents or get sick at some point, so it seems the model would break down a bit in that field.

10 hours ago, Michael Hopcroft said:

I suspect he will also have to answer to whoever is paying him to drive the balls to Salt Lake. Those look expensive, and while companies are not especially cruel in circumstances like this they will want to know the whole story because they're taking a loss on it as well. 

Insurance, especially on the industrial level, is economically vital. But when you take a loss, and the insurers thinks it's likely you will take another, it will have an effect.

It appears the issue came from a 3rd Party that was responsible for packing those balls. The only mistake of the driver was that he apparently did not verify the load was properly secured.

10 hours ago, Michael Hopcroft said:

My current temp job is with an insurance clearinghouse. My opinions about health insurance are at best complicated, as I'm not sure the insurance model is a particularly good way to pay for healthcare. Insurance is based on the notion of spreading risk, which is in turn based on the motion that most of your customers will never have a claim (at least not a major one) freeing their money to pay the claims you do get. But everyone will have accidents or get sick at some point, so it seems the model would break down a bit in that field.

And that is why a single payer/single rate healthcare Systems is the only reliable way to go.

The century is still young. Maybe the USA finally learns that in the next 80 years.