In other news...

tkdguy

On 1/20/2019 at 8:33 AM, Cancer said:

Huh.  Here I thought that all Europe was 50Hz 240VAC.

Yes, and I confirmed the 50 Hz part:

On 1/19/2019 at 4:45 PM, Christopher said:

I only heard about this in passing, but Europe had a "almost Blackout" back on 10th January.

50 Hertzs is the target Frequency. As production and consumption varries, this value changes up or down.

48 Hertz is the border at witch we get a Blackout and have to invest physical work to get stuff back running. Possibly even replace power supplies.

We hit 49,8 for a moment. Still sounds like a lot, but at this value there is often only seconds to compensate. Decrease past that is "exponentially" (actuall exponentially, not SciFi show exponentially). Luckily the security measures worked and we did not have a blackout in the middle of winter.

So I am unsure what you think you got wrong?

I am not 100% about the Voltage. May be 220. And of coruse Britain has their own connectors and voltage.

9 hours ago, Pariah said:

The lunar eclipse was visible in Salt Lake City, and it was spectacular.

In defiance of the local weather forecast, most of it was visible in my part of town here in Seattle, and for us, literally through the skywall from my side of the bed.

EDIT: Looks like the next good lunar eclipses for North America are in May of 2021 (better for the east; it'll be moonrise during totality here in Seattle) and May of 2022 (better for western than eastern NA).

2 hours ago, Christopher said:

Yes, and I confirmed the 50 Hz part:

So I am unsure what you think you got wrong?

I am not 100% about the Voltage. May be 220. And of coruse Britain has their own connectors and voltage.

I have never heard of frequency mismatch (or phase mismatch) being a problem here in North America (it's 60 Hz here, of course) which is why I am confused.  When the domestic power supplies have trouble here, it manifests as lower voltage ("brownout"), and that brings the current up (as most devices try to draw approximately constant power) which increases ohmic heating everywhere and the system safety breakers trip and chunks of the grid go dark before fires start.

With AC, the voltage is an rms average anyway.  I think that ~10% excursions from the nominal rms average are tolerable, so the North American domestic supply is nominally 120 VAC but 110 VAC is still acceptable.  It might be that with only two national governments (as here) central control is more easily maintained than with a couple of dozen, and that's the root issue.

11 hours ago, tkdguy said:

For her, or for me?

In my case, I was never a fan, although I found a few of his videos hilarious. For her, Weird Al is a friend of the family.

I've heard reports that he works hard at his craft and takes it very seriously. He also seems to have a near-encyclopedic knowledge of music, enabling him to effective parody and perform just about any type of pop song. Very few people can pull off hip-hop and then switch to doo-wop or "classic rock" in the same set within minutes of each other. In many cases, his parodies prove more durable than the songs on which they were based, and he's outlasted scores of the artists he's riffed upon.

5 hours ago, Cancer said:

I have never heard of frequency mismatch (or phase mismatch) being a problem here in North America (it's 60 Hz here, of course) which is why I am confused.  When the domestic power supplies have trouble here, it manifests as lower voltage ("brownout"), and that brings the current up (as most devices try to draw approximately constant power) which increases ohmic heating everywhere and the system safety breakers trip and chunks of the grid go dark before fires start.

According to the article I read, it manifests with the Generators rotating slower. Wich affects the frequency. Wich is what they measure to avoid problems.

It should of course also have an effect on Wattage - X*58 < X*60.

The danger was power supplies, transformers and the like going into "error, disconnect to aviod damage" mode. Wich may end up needing manual labor to undo. Until wich people have no power.

And here I wasn't even paying attention to Venezuela.

Donald Trump said he does not recognize President Maduro as legitimate (preferring Juan Guaidó). So Maduro is ending diplomatic relations with the US, saying that the diplomats have 72 hours to leave. But Pompeo says Maduro does not have the authority, because he is not legitimate.

https://www.vox.com/world/2019/1/23/18194881/venezuela-maduro-diplomats-trump-guaido

I hope this all stays at the level of political bluster or Trump might just make a few more of those migrant caravans he fusses so much about.

Hey, their heads have big holes nobody sees, so why not the planet they stand on?

I don't want to be here when the Cosmic Police come for their donut, though.

Actually, I think it's even money that these guys are just trolls, and they don't believe this but are just trying to get a rise out of others.

And the first thing I would ask them is how sundials and time zones work on a donut Earth.

... Carefully appending "Bless your heart" to the question immediately above.

Why isn't this in the Fail Thread?

... bless your heart?

On ‎1‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 12:32 AM, tkdguy said:

It is raining in the San Francisco Bay Area, so I get to miss out on another eclipse yet again.

Was it supposed to be solar or lunar?

I've only seen a lunar one (or at least was inside during any solars)