In other news...

tkdguy

14 hours ago, Badger said:

Was it supposed to be solar or lunar?

I've only seen a lunar one (or at least was inside during any solars)

This last one was a lunar eclipse, although it was also pretty overcast during the last solar eclipse a few years back.

On 1/24/2019 at 5:56 PM, Hermit said:

I'm not going to lie, my first thought was ...how do we turn this into a game setting? 

On 1/24/2019 at 6:41 PM, Old Man said:

Are we going to limit ourselves to something boring like a torus for that?

On 1/24/2019 at 7:27 PM, Lord Liaden said:

Nah...

941heO2.jpg

I raise you:
3-0001.png

4-0002.png

Yes, those are continents rotating in 6 fixed orbits around a core.

You can also fit them together to a get a full "shell" around the core.

And apparently that was only one of the planets the "creator" made. He seemed to have had a thing for wierd planets...

Edited by Christopher

1 hour ago, Badger said:

I seem to remember the planet in the Transformer rip-off GoBots was like a regular  looking planet stuck floating in between 2 cracked eggshell looking things

Other way around.  Tonka had been pushing out Go-Bots two years or so before Transformers existed.

Now if you had said "completely mis-managed inspiration of Transformers," I'd have been cool with it. ;)

1 hour ago, Badger said:

Wouldn't that be one ahmed?

It would also be hyphenated, as it's being used as an adjective.

Holy crap I have got to get some sleep.......

Sorry folks: been up too long.....

well, for the Go-Bots, I'd prefer to say they and Transformers were exclusively created without knowledge of the other.  Because other that the helicopter guy they were lame (and his name was lame so there).  No one would be inspired by them. :(

Don't make my inner reality have to do gymnastics. With the Transformers, I am still coming to terms with that whole Michael Bay thing. 

8 hours ago, Badger said:

well, for the Go-Bots, I'd prefer to say they and Transformers were exclusively created without knowledge of the other.  Because other that the helicopter guy they were lame (and his name was lame so there).  No one would be inspired by them. :(

Go-Bots came first.

Transformers was better and is better remembered.

Same way BetaMax and HD DVD were once a thing.

well, for the Go-Bots, I'd prefer to say they and Transformers were exclusively created without knowledge of the other.

Which is probably closer to reality anyway. 

Because other that the helicopter guy they were lame (and his name was lame so there).  No one would be inspired by them

:rofl:

As a bit of age disclosure: I was too old to be the target audience for either product, but I had a couple of "kid siblings" that were totally into them.  As a lifelong gearhead, though, some of the details and accuracy of the car mode on the larger, more complex ones were rather impressive for toys of the time.   At least, for a while.  Once they caught on and the toys started really selling, they just stated throwing wheels on anything. 

Wierd thing is I think kids could tell.  Seems like the weirder the vehicle version got, the less often they were requested for Christmas, birthdays, or any other reason.  Though I remember having to track down some that hadn't been available in years of the early ones (glad I don't have to do that anymore, since Kay-Bee toys isn't a thing anymore) 

I am still coming to terms with that whole Michael Bay thing. 

I will preface this with a heartfelt comment:

I completely understand and respect that you don't seem to care for those movies. 

That aside:

I totally loved them (the first three).  I thought they were absolutely amazing; so much so that the kids and I will occasionally re-watch them.  I don't know how many times we have rewatched them (and Lord no; not more than one at a sitting), but it wouldn't be stretching it to say around a dozen times.

The last two had high production values, awesome stunts, exceptional cinetography, but the stories....  Well, when the robots could fall apart into a billion pieces, fly around like a swarm, and reassemble somewhere else, unharmed-- but we could still shoot them.... 

And the look and "personalities" of the selected Transformers.... 

I don't know.... 

The fifth one came across as something of an apology for the fourth one. :lol:

I know: I have heard all kinds of discussions as to why the movies weren't good and why I am "wrong" for liking the, but you know, none of that changes anything:   some folks like them; some folks don't.  It's true of pretty much everything.  Except maybe Ishtar.  Everyone loves that. 

(HA!) 

Duke