In other news...

tkdguy

1 hour ago, Christopher said:

Damn, that is warmer then for me.

Werent you in the USA supposed to have some kind of cold front?

Chicago is a little over 1500 miles/2400km from Las Vegas. As I write this, they've warmed up to about 21°F/-6°C, while we are at 66°F/19°C.

North America is large compared to Europe, something which Europeans and USers often don't realize, albeit for different reasons.

The Eastern Front of WW2 would fit in less than half the area of the lower 48 states, IIRC.  Less than the area over which the American Civil War was fought.

Meanwhile in response to being ripped into the cold in the wee morning, and as soon as his eyes adjusted was forced to withstand a flash attack from a thousand cameras. Punxsutawney Phil then went on a spree of ripping off people's faces.

Next year, he will have a Broly (dbz) type power up and destroy the Northeast.

On February 1, 2019 at 12:40 PM, Hermit said:

This is the disgusting and horrifying reason I left Carolina many years ago.  Shortly after this named to be used as a tool in the "war against drugs" and it escalated to include taking cars, houses, and whatever cash they could find, I bugged out.  I ran a cash-heavy truck-based business at the time, and when the crew and I were headed home after two or three weeks in the field, we did _not_ look like high-end citizens.  We were ragged, filthy, and tired.  I had nightmares about getting pulled over and losing a month's worth of payroll for eight men and a sizable bit of operating capital to get us to the next job.

Then, just a few years later, the government decided that any "large" cash transaction had to be reported by banks, making it just flat dangerous to do business at all.  I quite the business all together (and thus had to make several truck and equipment payments out of a _much_ smaller income until I finally got it all sold) simply because, what with the example of South Carolina, I figured at some point I'd walk in to the bank with "too much cash" and there'd be a federal agent in charge of just taking it.

Not a joke.  It's some seriously terrifying and absolutely sketchy crap.  Consider that I used to move houses.  I left SC-- where the permits, rights, and licenses are fairly easy to acquire-- and moved the whole shebang to Georgia, where those same processes are like pulling teeth from a grizzly bear, just because I didn't feel safe operating a completely legal enterprise.

Duke

Edited by Duke Bushido
Autocorrect ate my baby

6 hours ago, Duke Bushido said:

This is the disgusting and horrifying reason I left Carolina many years ago.  Shortly after this named to be used as a tool in the "war against drugs" and it escalated to include taking cars, houses, and whatever cash they could find, I bugged out.  I ran a cash-heavy truck-based business at the time, and when the crew and I were headed home after two or three weeks in the field, we did _not_ look like high-end citizens.  We were ragged, filthy, and tired.  I had nightmares about getting pulled over and losing a month's worth of payroll for eight men and a sizable bit of operating capital to get us to the next job.

Then, just a few years later, the government decided that any "large" cash transaction had to be reported by banks, making it just flat dangerous to do business at all.  I quite the business all together (and thus had to make several truck and equipment payments out of a _much_ smaller income until I finally got it all sold) simply because, what with the example of South Carolina, I figured at some point I'd walk in to the bank with "too much cash" and there'd be a federal agent in charge of just taking it.

Not a joke.  It's some seriously terrifying and absolutely sketchy crap.  Consider that I used to move houses.  I left SC-- where the permits, rights, and licenses are fairly easy to acquire-- and moved the whole shebang to Georgia, where those same processes are like pulling teeth from a grizzly bear, just because I didn't feel safe operating a completely legal enterprise.

Duke

I hear you. It's essentially legalized banditry and it damages even the pretense of more high ground on law enforcement's behalf. 

7 hours ago, Duke Bushido said:

Then, just a few years later, the government decided that any "large" cash transaction had to be reported by banks, making it just flat dangerous to do business at all.

That is just SOP for banking and finances.

15.000 € per Customer and day is the legal hard cap, after wich the Finance Ministery of Germany has to be informed.

Below that it is up to each bank. 500€ seems to be my banks limit.

And the "severity" of it is, that I have to show my ID when depositing, so they got a solid paper trail if it ever turns out there was something illegal happening.

21 hours ago, Duke Bushido said:

Then, just a few years later, the government decided that any "large" cash transaction had to be reported by banks, making it just flat dangerous to do business at all.

13 hours ago, Christopher said:

That is just SOP for banking and finances.

I'm not sure when you were doing the truck business, Duke, but back when I was working in a bank (late 1980s-2005) banks were required to report all large transactions (cash or otherwise) to the government.  I believe the minimum for reporting was $10,000 back then, though I could be wrong. 

(looked up Currency Transaction Reporting online)  It looks like this started in 1970.

I believe part of it is that it got lower in the last 10 or so years? From 10000, to 5000

I lean with the Duke on this myself. However old, it's a bit disturbing that choosing to use 'good and legal' cash  falls more into the 'guilty until you prove yourself innocent' line of thought.

Part of it stems from some of the laws enacted in the War on Drugs. "Arresting" property through civil asset forfeiture became a thing, with those affected not even getting a hearing before a judge unless a bond was put up. Law enforcement agencies directly benefited from the seizures, as the money or property would go to the organizations involved. All that was needed was to imply that the money or property might be used in a crime.

Here's a video from 2014 (probably NSFW):