In other news...

tkdguy

On 2/25/2019 at 5:34 PM, Sundog said:

It would seem to me that the draft is unconstitutional anyway.  The Thirteenth Amendment bans slavery and involuntary servitude.

On 2/26/2019 at 2:41 AM, Pattern Ghost said:

It was already challenged on those grounds. I don't know if it was tried or if it was just rejected. 

The same should apply to any country with a Anti Slavery clause in teh constitution. But germany had the draft way longer then America. Indeed it was only abolished this century.

And I had not been level 4 viability, I would have rejected on reasons of conscience.

That the state has to have some degree of right to infrige on personal freedom is self explaining. Otherwise every prision would be run by Kidnappers.

Usually the infringement is something we accept, so other people do not bash our heads in. If those other people live in our Country (Police is there for this) or another country (Military is there for that) is a trivial detail.

8 minutes ago, BoloOfEarth said:

Oh, I thought it was...

B6oTX6_CUAAl3xR.jpg

Baby, I compare you to a kiss from a rose on the gray.
Ooh, the more I get of you, the stranger it feels, yeah.
And now that your rose is in bloom.
A light hits the gloom
On the gray.

Damn it, now that tune is in my head

again

I'm re-listening to the song now, and it does sound like "gray", but I could have also sworn that it was "grave".

Seal didn't include lyrics with his first album releases, so we may be seeing how someone else transcribed it.

http://articles.latimes.com/1992-03-22/entertainment/ca-7400_1_pop-music

"I feel I am still beginning in many ways," he says with no trace of false modesty when asked why he doesn't put his own lyrics on the album sleeves.

"When I think of people like Joni Mitchell and Bob Dylan and Stevie Wonder, I realize I haven't mastered the art of lyric writing. In fact, I don't really think lyrically that I can ever get across exactly what I am trying to say. I'm just trying to express my true feelings.

"And that's the test of a record for me: whether it conveys the feeling or the emotion I'm feeling. . . . To me, that's the duty of the singer-songwriter . . . to convey that message--to say, 'Hey, I do understand and that you aren't alone and that you'll be OK.' "

Per the lyrics explanation at genius.com, it’s a reference to the first line of the song, in which he depicts his life as a lonely tower under gray skies.  Something like that. Anyway the point of the song is that the girl is a spot of light and color in his otherwise dreary and hopeless life. 

Hmm, I thought he said a green tower alone on the sea.  I thought he was referring to Riddler's tower from Batman Forever since the song was from the movie.  Obviously that sounds stupid in hindsight.  Man, I am never gonna survive unless I get a little crazy, y'know?