In other news...

tkdguy

41 minutes ago, Cygnia said:

A judge was trying to convince a jury to vote Not Guilty on a human trafficker. ?

IIRC in the American justice system, it's possible for a judge to overrule a jury if he/she feels it has misunderstood or ignored crucial evidence. So far I haven't read anything to imply that was the case here.

1 hour ago, Cancer said:

I get a redirect warning, but I can accept the redirect and access the site.

I get the redirection warning from google. Then the "Access Denied".

The access denied mentions some IP adresses, so it might be geo-locked.

58 minutes ago, BoloOfEarth said:

Maybe God just didn't want you to see it.  He may be embarrassed about the things some people do in his name.

But I thougt god only dislikes the naked singularity?

3 minutes ago, Lord Liaden said:

IIRC in the American justice system, it's possible for a judge to overrule a jury if he/she feels it has misunderstood or ignored crucial evidence. So far I haven't read anything to imply that was the case here.

There's also apparently nothing in the Texas guidelines for ethical conduct of judges which would prevent him from taking that action, no matter how unethical his action might appear to everyone. That loophole in the guidelines needs to be addressed.

I don't really mind when a juror digs his heels in and refuses to convict because he just isn't feeling the person is guilty. That's one of the known flaws of having a jury composed of normal people and it's the responsibility of the prosecution and defense teams to do their best to weed out potential jurors who refuse to rule based strictly on the evidence presented.

I'm no longer eligible to serve on any juries. But back when I was, I'd have had to admit that I'd have a difficult time convicting someone of something that I didn't think should be a crime or impossible to convict where the government blatantly violated the Constitution (drug possession, someone arrested for "public drunkenness" because the police asked him to step from the interior of his home where it was legal for him to be drunk to his front porch where he's technically in "public", questionable searches, anything involving metadata).

But being a judge is a vastly different role than being a juror, not the least thing being that a judge is supposed to act like a professional.

The judge in this case recused himself during sentencing rather than giving the lightest sentence possible in order to protest the jury's decision, which is more than I would have expected from his actions in the first part of the story.

5 hours ago, Starlord said:

It took the Martians 2 weeks to fix and upload the virus that's being beamed back, can you believe it?

The chances of anything coming from Mars are a million to one, he said

The chances of anything coming from Mars are a million to one...

But still, they come!

5 hours ago, Starlord said:

My dad said one time about who say that "they should be careful it wasn't really the devil in disguise"

In any case, human trafficking is another one I might be appropriate to serve on because, if find one is guilty I will not feel any need whatsoever to show any mercy.

1 hour ago, Ternaugh said:

The chances of anything coming from Mars are a million to one, he said

The chances of anything coming from Mars are a million to one...

But still, they come!

At (for example) one chance a year ... since Mars and Earth have been neighbors for more than 4500 million years ... 

... the Martians have been here a lot of times, and for a long, long time.

7 hours ago, Cancer said:

What, you think the nonlinear chunk of foghorn blubber in the White House is gonna want to build a wall to stop you, too?

He would propably try to build Dyson Fence around the solar system, because as american he does not know where that place "mars" lies.

6 hours ago, Starlord said:

Not really sure what was the point of passing that to be honest.  I doubt it has been enforced much in the last 50-60 years.  Kind of trouble for nothing (though I suppose there would be that one father who would want to punish his daughter's boyfriend above and beyond)

1 minute ago, Grailknight said:

I'm sure it's a long list. Maybe they should amnesty all of you to soothe your guilt.?

It only applied if you did it in Utah, though.

In any case, I am safe, unless it applies to those who have sex alone.  Wait...…:think:

25 minutes ago, Badger said:

It only applied if you did it in Utah, though.

In any case, I am safe, unless it applies to those who have sex alone.  Wait...…:think:

"Did it in Utah"? Why, yes, I have, so I probably need amnesty too.

12 minutes ago, Hermit said:

Me love meself, me think me grand

when me alone, me hold me hand

me take myself every place

when me get fresh me smack me face

Extremely appropriate NSFW Crispin "Hellion" Glover song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnzgpJwW_6A