In other news...

tkdguy

On March 7, 2019 at 6:28 PM, Old Man said:

Shh! You’ll blow our cover!

Nah.

We're good.

11 hours ago, Christopher said:

He would propably try to build Dyson Fence around the solar system, because as american he does not know where that place "mars" lies.

Really, Dude?

3 hours ago, Badger said:

Well, maybe not appropriate to say, so apologies, but I was a bit surprised he made it that far considering.

Meanwhile, Airwolf itself enjoyed a second career as an air ambulance in Germany until it crashed in fog in 1992.

6 hours ago, Christopher said:

Yes.

Why do you ask? Was the time not right for a Futurama reference?

My apologies, Christopher:  I did not get it as a Futurama reference; I'm much more familiar with "Earthican" from Futurama.

The past few days, I have been helping my brother do some research (in exchange for some art restoration to my scan projects) online, (notice I haven't been here much lately? ;) ) and have been to numerous "comments" sections that feature the done-to-death "American's be so ignant!" comments.....

One of the high notes of this particular board has been the focus on constructive exchange.  Having decided to give an hour to myself and log in here for some relaxation, that comment-- as noted, I missed it as a reference-- was something of an icepick through the peephole.

I took it incorrectly (having been primed that way by a few days of other experiences) and I shouldn't have.  My sincerest apology to you, SIr.

Duke

A game in England's second tier of professional soccer was interrupted when a fan raced out of the stands and sucker-punched an opposing player.

Jack Grealish, a midfielder for Aston Villa, was attacked by a supporter of bitter rivals Birmingham City, who blew kisses to the crowd as he was taken off the pitch. The "fan" faces a 17-week jail sentence, a lifetime ban from Birmingham City matches, a ten-year ban from all soccer games in the UK, and a fine of 300 pounds (almost $400 in the USA). 

Grealish was not seriously injured and scored the only goal of the match to secure a 1-0 win for Villa. But the attack has shocked and angered almost everyone involved with professional soccer in the UK. Pundits have suggested measures like Birmingham City playing all their remaining matches in an empty stadium (a punishment referred to as "behind closed doors") with no spectators allowed in -- which will clearly be a large financial blow to the team. There has also been talk of taking away points, reducing their place in the standings, or forcing relegation of the club to the next-lower tier,

Even Graelish agreed it could have gotten worse, especially if the attacker had a weapon.

I don't get it.  Maybe I'm missing something.

Why punish the team he was supposedly a fan of?  How is it Birmingham City's responsibility that they have (had?) a nutjob as a fan?  If something like that happened in an NFL or MLB game here, would we expect the team to be punished for the actions of a fan?  (Raiders and Chiefs, I'm looking at you.)

26 minutes ago, Hermit said:

From the article:

CBS reported that Lucas ignored questions from the trooper and refused to be placed into handcuffs. The cop was able to control the situation by taking the suspect down by sweeping out his legs from under him, placing him in handcuffs.

The cop was clearly trained by Cobra Kai.

16 hours ago, Rails said:

I don't get it.  Maybe I'm missing something.

Why punish the team he was supposedly a fan of?  How is it Birmingham City's responsibility that they have (had?) a nutjob as a fan?  If something like that happened in an NFL or MLB game here, would we expect the team to be punished for the actions of a fan?  (Raiders and Chiefs, I'm looking at you.)

Because their security detail (including Birmingham police officers), in spite of its numbers and the intensive training they received, were unable to prevent this person from getting onto the pitch in the first place. Nobody but the payers, coaches, and game officials have any business there. That is why the team will be (and should be) punished -- the security measures were in place to prevent this very situation and failed utterly.

Thank you for clarifying that for me, Michael.  While I understand that line of thinking, I'm not sure that I support it.  Is there any proof that the security measures were inadequately implemented or did the fan just manage to subvert them all?  Were there other measures that are in use at other stadia that Birmingham *could* have used and chose not to?

It still feels like the team is being punished for the actions of a single fan and I can't say that sits well with me.