In other news...

tkdguy

41 minutes ago, Ternaugh said:

The conflict in Nigeria appears to be a fight over resources between primarily Christian farmers and primarily Muslim ranchers, with large numbers of deaths on both sides. Religious affiliation is more of a secondary issue, that’s being used selectively by certain sources.

As long as we're quoting Snopes:

"In an email sent to Snopes.com, Brandon Kendhammer, associate professor of political science at Ohio University and an expert in Nigerian politics, said the religious dynamics of the conflict were further complicated by the fact that Fulani herders had also been attacking farmers in Zamfara State, “where nearly all the farmers and victims are also Muslim.” He added, “Here, the conflict very clearly appears to be rooted in the impunity of criminal gangs.” "

I think the real reason the Nigerian atrocities are getting less play than the New Zealand massacre has to do with the fact that one is in Africa, and the other is in a first-world Western nation we don't expect to be plagued with such violence. In Nigeria, violence is expected, thus, not "news."

Lucius Alexander

In a Lucius Alexander post, a palindromedary tagline is to be expected.

25 minutes ago, Lucius said:

I think the real reason the Nigerian atrocities are getting less play than the New Zealand massacre has to do with the fact that one is in Africa, and the other is in a first-world Western nation we don't expect to be plagued with such violence. In Nigeria, violence is expected, thus, not "news."

Ding, ding, ding.  We have a winner.

See also - Somalia.

29 minutes ago, Lucius said:

"Crimewave in Gotham.

In other news: Water is wet!"

4 hours ago, Toxxus said:

This is only true if it fits the narrative.

Christians in Nigeria are getting annihilated by Muslim extremists, but that's not something the mainstream news in America wants to cover.

Both are horrifying atrocities, but only one of them is getting coverage.

Claim: This Photo Shows Muslims in Leipzig, Germany.

spacer.png

Use case: "Proof for Islamisation!"

Reality: Orthodox Christians. Eritrea (Africa). They are comming from Church. Just had a Baptism.

So yeah, the people that feel like highlighting that literally can not tell a Muslim and Christian appart, if he is from Africa.

And they would not give a rodents behind for those christians, unless it was for justifying their hate for Muslims.

Barbara Streisand speaking of Michael Jackson and about two men accusing Michael Jackson of sexually assaulting them as children.

“His sexual needs were his sexual needs, coming from whatever childhood he has or whatever DNA he has," Streisand told The Times. “You can say ‘molested,' but those children, as you heard say [grown-up Robson and Safechuck], they were thrilled to be there. They both married and they both have children, so it didn’t kill them.”

Another of her statements in the interview was

“I feel bad for the children,” she said. “I feel bad for him. I blame, I guess, the parents, who would allow their children to sleep with him."

https://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/ny-barbra-streisand-michael-jackson-accusers-thrilled-sexual-needs-20190323-7z3b2dqgbzh7jfs4yyhqhdfjyi-story.html

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6841461/Barbra-Streisand-says-Michael-Jacksons-accusers-thrilled-there.html

Umm, yeah...I don't think she understands, at all, why she is getting criticism for what she said in the interview.

18 minutes ago, archer said:

Umm, yeah...I don't think she understands, at all, why she is getting criticism for what she said in the interview.

My mother and father married when she was 15 years old, back in 1959, with the enthusiastic approval of her family. I'm not sure it was even his idea. When I was born, she was 19.

I suspect for poor Barbra it's just that things like that probably happened all the time when she was growing up in show business and nobody showed the modern degree of horror or any understanding that there was something fundamentally wrong with the picture. There were times when directors and [producers could get away with turning the competing pools of star-struck women seeking Hollywood fame into personal harems. Those days had better be gone soon.

2 minutes ago, Michael Hopcroft said:

My mother and father married when she was 15 years old, back in 1959, with the enthusiastic approval of her family. I'm not sure it was even his idea. When I was born, she was 19.

I suspect for poor Barbra it's just that things like that probably happened all the time when she was growing up in show business and nobody showed the modern degree of horror or any understanding that there was something fundamentally wrong with the picture. There were times when directors and [producers could get away with turning the competing pools of star-struck women seeking Hollywood fame into personal harems. Those days had better be gone soon.

My grandmother married at age 13 (my grandfather was 18 years old at the time). And she had my father at age 14. She remained married a little over 65 years.

There's a hell of a lot of difference between supervised dating with permission then getting married with permission and what Michael Jackson was doing.

2 hours ago, archer said:

My grandmother married at age 13 (my grandfather was 18 years old at the time). And she had my father at age 14. She remained married a little over 65 years.

There's a hell of a lot of difference between supervised dating with permission then getting married with permission and what Michael Jackson was doing.

Definitely, (my maternal grandparents were 21 and 16-her)

The EU finally finished their "DIRECTIVE OF THE EUROPEAN PARLIAMENT AND OF THE COUNCIL on copyright in the Digital Single Market".

People might have heard most about it from the term "Artikle 13" (wich is now 17 in the Final Version)

And as I am still reading and hearing a ton of BS on the mater and I actually had a hard time finding the actuall thing (too many overlinked news Articles), here is a link to thge PDF version:
https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/PDF/?uri=CELEX:52016PC0593&from=EN

But anything before Page 23 is just forewords and some stuff on how in interacts with existing Laws and other Directives.

And just to make sone things clear I hear most often (all of this is asuming no huge mistakes in the Implementation by any local government):

- It does not call for "Uploadfilters". Big Organisations like Facebook and Google threathened to implement it via Upload filters only. Rather then finally getting Licensing agreements or hiring enough staff for this job. Both of wich are long overdue

- Wikipedia was never affected to begin with. They already deal with all the Licensing Stuff anyway. If someone felt their work was published under Creative Commons in violation of their rights, they could already asked for it to be taken down. It also falls under the "Education", "Cultural Heritage" and "Non-Profit" provisions. They are so excluded, I have no idea why wikipedia demonstrated against it.

Massive Ebola outbreak continues in the Democratic Republic of the Congo

"The World Health Organization reported 1,009 cases (944 confirmed, 65 probable), including 629 deaths (564 confirmed, 65 probable)...

"Violent attacks and lingering distrust have hampered medical responses throughout the outbreak. Earlier this month, militants attacked a treatment center in the city of Butembo in North Kivu, killing a police officer and injuring health workers. Last month, Doctors Without Borders/Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) suspended medical responses after two other attacks on treatment centers. In both attacks, unidentified assailants partially burnt down facilities."

https://arstechnica.com/science/2019/03/ebola-cases-surpass-1000-in-drc-outbreak-the-second-largest-of-all-time/

Grrr.....

7 hours ago, archer said:

Massive Ebola outbreak continues in the Democratic Republic of the Congo

"The World Health Organization reported 1,009 cases (944 confirmed, 65 probable), including 629 deaths (564 confirmed, 65 probable)...

"Violent attacks and lingering distrust have hampered medical responses throughout the outbreak. Earlier this month, militants attacked a treatment center in the city of Butembo in North Kivu, killing a police officer and injuring health workers. Last month, Doctors Without Borders/Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) suspended medical responses after two other attacks on treatment centers. In both attacks, unidentified assailants partially burnt down facilities."

https://arstechnica.com/science/2019/03/ebola-cases-surpass-1000-in-drc-outbreak-the-second-largest-of-all-time/

Grrr.....

Signs that a society has completely collapsed - roving bands of gunmen shooting the very aid workers trying to save them from Ebola.  Game over.

3 minutes ago, Toxxus said:

Signs that a society has completely collapsed - roving bands of gunmen shooting the very aid workers trying to save them from Ebola.  Game over.

I can understand to some extent stealing from doctors, who are wealthy compared to the general population, and stealing medicines for themselves or for resale.

I have a real problem wrapping my head around shooting undefended doctors and burning down medical facilities which might be otherwise be resupplied with valuable medicines. That just doesn't work well within my personal worldview.

4 minutes ago, archer said:

I can understand to some extent stealing from doctors, who are wealthy compared to the general population, and stealing medicines for themselves or for resale.

I have a real problem wrapping my head around shooting undefended doctors and burning down medical facilities which might be otherwise be resupplied with valuable medicines. That just doesn't work well within my personal worldview.

You just have to get far enough into the us-good them-evil dichotomy and you're good to go.  We lost somewhere in the range of 100-200 million people in the previous century because ideologues decided who to blame when things weren't going well.

Mao, Stalin, Hitler, Communist Russia - it's all the same disease.  Things are bad and it's the fault of those guys right there!  Kill, rinse, repeat until utopia achieved.

Once you're deep into the cycle your own well being is irrelevant.  You must destroy the evil them at all costs!

3 minutes ago, Toxxus said:

You just have to get far enough into the us-good them-evil dichotomy and you're good to go.  We lost somewhere in the range of 100-200 million people in the previous century because ideologues decided who to blame when things weren't going well.

Mao, Stalin, Hitler, Communist Russia - it's all the same disease.  Things are bad and it's the fault of those guys right there!  Kill, rinse, repeat until utopia achieved.

Once you're deep into the cycle your own well being is irrelevant.  You must destroy the evil them at all costs!

To be fair, I have a problem wrapping my head around Mao, Stalin, Hitler, Communist Russia, and Pol Pot as well.

Pol Pot had everyone who wore eyeglasses executed because he thought people who wore glasses might be decadent intellectuals.