In other news...

tkdguy

15 minutes ago, Old Man said:

I've come to the realization that Americans are frickin' mean.  Why rehabilitate when you can punish?

American politicians mostly.

Americans in general are appalled and disgusted by the prison system and complete lack rehabilitation that occurs therein.

Trump, nutty as he is, is the first president in a long time to start making real efforts to get people OUT of prisons.  His First Step and Second Step programs are going to result in a large number of people who got crushing / overkill sentences based on stupid drug war era mandatory sentencing guidelines back into the work force.

God forbid someone who has done their time could actually get a job and have to resort to crime and return to prison.

11 minutes ago, Toxxus said:

Americans in general are appalled and disgusted by the prison system and complete lack rehabilitation that occurs therein.

Trump, nutty as he is, is the first president in a long time to start making real efforts to get people OUT of prisons.  His First Step and Second Step programs are going to result in a large number of people who got crushing / overkill sentences based on stupid drug war era mandatory sentencing guidelines back into the work force.

God forbid someone who has done their time could actually get a job and have to resort to crime and return to prison.

Here's a link from my local newspaper about the First Step Act:  https://www.reviewjournal.com/news/politics-and-government/trump-celebrates-first-step-act-for-prison-sentencing-reform-1631356/

“Bipartisan,” Trump proclaimed as he hit the podium, standing in front of five former inmates freed by the First Step Act, which coupled prison reform and sentencing reform and is expected to lead to the release of some 4,000 federal inmates.

2 hours ago, Toxxus said:

Yeah, I am always mixed up on how I feel about this.  If you don't get the guy a job, he probably want have any safety net to do anything but get himself back in prison.  But, the reason they were in prison, I can understand being leery of hiring said person, because how can you trust them being rehabilitated, especially considering when we hear about some violence at the workplace. So, I can understand that side of things too.

Of course, given I am currently looking for a job for the first time in over 15 years after my job was phased out.  I can understand how hard it is for prisoners to get a job.  Because since last time I was job hunting, everybody wants a damn online resume (and I literally live 2 damn miles from a place who requested go that route, it would have been much simpler for me to come down there and hand out the identical resume)

Been getting help with online resumes at the unemployment office, but it is a 20 minutes drive to get to there.  And I could you know, use that time to make the required weekly contacts, instead.

Note: And since I am not looking necessarily for a full-time job, but full-time or a temporary part-time job.  It seems overkill to post online for a job that likely requires absolutely no working on computers.  (I kind of want to point out "If I was better at computers, I probably wouldn't need X job here")

I got off ranting about my own problems didn't I?

2 hours ago, Old Man said:

I've come to the realization that Americans are frickin' mean.  Why rehabilitate when you can punish?

I do believe the justice system should be for both punishment and rehabilitation.  But, efforts should be made with the latter to a higher degree than has been.

Today the BBC aired a story about transparent wood. Here are a couple links on the subject, to explain how wood can be made transparent and why one might want to do so. (Apart from just to be weird.)

Mar 31, 2016 - Windows could be made from transparent, renewable 'wood', according to Swedish researchers. A team from the KTH Royal Institute of ...

7 hours ago, Starlord said:

Transparent bathroom stalls would be creepy.

I cant pee in urinals,  1)No privacy at all  2)the set up, unless it is an elementary school urinal, my OCD makes it hard to deal with the fact my hands are so close to where someone else's pee was.

As for port-a-potties, I'll go in the woods behind said port-a potty.  

To be able to pee in urinals, I used to have to imagine that I was urinating on someone's face.  Usually the guy next to me, who I resented simply for being there.  Now I can proudly say that I can pee anywhere at any time.  In meetings.  On stage.  During sex.  I may not have tested all of these scenarios, but that's where my confidence level is.

Yeah, in high school, I knew of several who liked to see how high up the wall they could pee.  That and the fact they didn't supply soap to the boys bathroom (after the paper towels kept being burned) are a large reason for most of those hang-ups.)

On 4/3/2019 at 5:18 PM, DShomshak said:

Today the BBC aired a story about transparent wood. Here are a couple links on the subject, to explain how wood can be made transparent and why one might want to do so. (Apart from just to be weird.)

Mar 31, 2016 - Windows could be made from transparent, renewable 'wood', according to Swedish researchers. A team from the KTH Royal Institute of ...

That would certainly help with the worldwide sand shortage.

If desert sand was usable for any purpose, there wouldn't be a problem. But when you get places like Dubai having to import millions of tons of sand from Australia, that's when you know there's a problem.

China in the last four years used more sand for construction and industrial purposes than the US did in the entire 20th century.