In other news...

tkdguy

1 hour ago, assault said:

There are also lots of left wing gamers - who prefer to play the Federal side in American Civil War games, Parliamentarians (or the Irish) in English Civil War games, Revolutionary French, and so on. I've noticed that they tend to roleplay their respective sides more than average, even when they are playing various versions of "the other side". For example, someone playing the Nazis in a WW2 game would be likely to start frothing at the mouth about "Bolsheviks".

This is mainly a result of them being history geeks, into the games because of the history as much as the game play. Funnily enough, they're usually rather good players, capable of routinely taking down more casual opponents.

Going back to the South:  I played as the Confederates simply because I am from the South, with some ancestry that were Confederate soldiers.  Not really any actual thought to other than that.

18 hours ago, Zeropoint said:

If I had to play a Southern role in an American Civil War game, I'd have to work hard at not falling into a "Christian insisting that slavery is the will of God" type of role.

Simple, work on 'War of Northern Aggression' as it is known in the South or State rights. People were defending their homes and their States. The war was not fought on the basis of emancipation for slaves or their rights, it was one of the results.

On 4/10/2019 at 11:33 AM, Cygnia said:

SWEET! 

Now to up-scale it a bit, let it live in dark, damp places, secret acid, and I've got a _perfect_ and _superior_ replacement of the Gelatinous Copyright. 

(which reminds me, I've really got to finish writing up the Look-tater, now that my daughter wants to learn Fantasy HERO) 

On 4/10/2019 at 3:38 PM, death tribble said:

Simple, work on 'War of Northern Aggression' as it is known in the South or State rights. People were defending their homes and their States. The war was not fought on the basis of emancipation for slaves or their rights, it was one of the results.

Actually, the newspapers of the South almost universally wrote about the danger of slave violence on innocent Southerners during the time of the war and especially in the lead up to it. There really is no safe harbor from racism in this one. It was literally everyone's legal responsibility to turn in runaway slaves. Every single citizens. And, the lead up to the war has, as a major cornerstone, the North's refusal to accept that legal responsibility and how that played out in the courts and the responses. And then, the Northern citizenry's support of John Brown. And then the election of Lincoln, which every Southern politician of that time knew to be an abolitionist, irrespective of politics he played in speeches.

The War of Northern Aggression is a post war, post reconstruction narrative more than it was a narrative pushed befores and during the actual war. Sure, Southern leaders painted it as the North's fault, but they also made clear it was about slavery at every level of leadership, and the papers at the time in the South descended into such rank racism that the post-reconstruction attempts at distancing the whole thing from slaver appear silly. Before and during, slavery and the bogeyman of violent freed black Americans ravaging the innocent was the dominant media portrayal leading up to the war and during in the South.

I'm not sure how much I would want to deal with that as a player to just play a game. My entertainment need does not weigh very heavily in that equation.

On 4/10/2019 at 1:38 PM, death tribble said:

I think it's important to remember that the states' rights issue that was central to the war was over whether new states in the Westward expansion would be able to decide for themselves whether to allow slavery. There were other commerce-related issues, but slavery was at the core of it for the South.

ETA: Every person who I've ever heard refer to the Civil War as "The War of Northern Aggression" has also stated that it wasn't a Civil War, "because it wasn't about civil rights." Which means they've all been too stupid to realize that the term "Civil War" refers to a war between citizens of the same country. So, it's not really a name founded on good scholarship, or at least not one put forth by scholarly types.

ETA to ETA: Here's a pretty interesting Wikipedia article on the various names of the war.

42 minutes ago, Pattern Ghost said:

IIRC, in 1984, the televisions were spying on people. So, he was spot on in general terms: Our electronic entertainment devices (bread and circuses) are spying on us.

Absolutely. But in Orwell's vision the symbol and source of the surveillance was apparent, and the guiding intelligence behind it monolithic and authoritarian. Today it's covertly ubiquitous, and a weapon of manipulation and exploitation by many factions. Orwell anticipated a tool of order, not instruments of chaos.

2 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

Absolutely. But in Orwell's vision the symbol and source of the surveillance was apparent, and the guiding intelligence behind it monolithic and authoritarian. Today it's covertly ubiquitous, and a weapon of manipulation and exploitation by many factions. Orwell anticipated a tool of order, not instruments of chaos.

Well, now that we've moved the goal post from Orwell didn't predict technological spying to Orwell predicted a state monopoly on that spying, you're absolutely correct. :D (China would fit his predictions better than the US in that regard.)