In other news...

tkdguy

9 hours ago, Michael Hopcroft said:

Remind me not to go where you are...

It's not like they are going to leap into you, Michael.  :lol:

Besides, since all restraints are chain restraints anymore, you really have to go out of you way to find a place that still has them on the menu.  Used to be everywhere, but slowly, surely, the emblandoning of culture takes its toll. 

Now you almost have to prepare them yourself (you can still find them in butcher shops and local grocery stores: just not the chain ones), but that's pretty easy to avoid, too.  :lol:

4 minutes ago, Duke Bushido said:

Besides, since all restraints are chain restraints anymore,

Must....resist.....have to fight the temptation to make a comment....No one wants to hear my opinion on chain vs rope....keep your mouth shut, Lucius.....

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary says I lost that battle.....

13 minutes ago, Pattern Ghost said:

Yeah, that's the part I wonder about: What idiot would approve funding for something so obvious.

Someone who remembers Galileo

Lucius Alexander

and a leaning palindromedary

5 hours ago, Lucius said:

Someone who remembers Galileo

How many people do you suppose are still alive who remember Galileo? And did he have a habit of not responding to his name, even though he clearly heard it?

On a more serious  note, I'm sure the research had some deeper value than the stunningly obvious conclusion that cats know their names but ignore us. It's just that when all is said and done, the takeaway for the majority of people is something we already knew. Those of us with any basic observational or deductive skills.

21 hours ago, Pattern Ghost said:

How many people do you suppose are still alive who remember Galileo? And did he have a habit of not responding to his name, even though he clearly heard it?

No, but he did make a practice of double checking facts that "everyone knows."

That a heavier object would fall faster was something just as obvious as that cats know but ignore their own names. Just because it's obvious doesn't mean it's true. In this case it turned out to be true, but that doesn't mean it wasn't worth testing.

And for what it's worth, if I remember the article correctly, while many cats know their own names and choose to ignore them, some of them seem genuinely to not know their own names.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary thinks those cats are just extra good at ignoring but isn't sure how to test that.