In other news...

tkdguy

1 hour ago, archer said:

I just got approved by my pain doctor to take my first ever dose of cannabis oil. Takes like peppermint.

Its legal for sale over the counter even in a state which doesn't allow recreational use of marijuana.

It's supposed to help with both my pain and my diabetes management without impairing my cognitive functions.

I can't really afford to lose any more of my cognitive functions. :D

Wish me luck.

Hope it works for you.

On 4/21/2019 at 7:38 AM, assault said:

More recently, I've discovered that you can freak out magpies by mimicking their calls. They'll often give you a real WTF? look if you do that. It doesn't work during breeding season, unfortunately, at least not on breeding pairs.

It’s like if you were at a house auction and an alligator came in and started bidding

45 minutes ago, tkdguy said:

Terrorism in Saudi Arabia is whatever the Crown Prince says it is.

Why we hate the Iranian theocracy and are firm allies with the Saudi theocracy is beyond me. The two countries are involved in a sort of Persian Gulf Cold War, with fingers in pies throughout the Middle East, and neither is particularly fond of Israel. (Then again, I'm no fan of the Netanyahu regime either.)

5 hours ago, Michael Hopcroft said:

Why we hate the Iranian theocracy and are firm allies with the Saudi theocracy is beyond me. The two countries are involved in a sort of Persian Gulf Cold War, with fingers in pies throughout the Middle East, and neither is particularly fond of Israel. (Then again, I'm no fan of the Netanyahu regime either.)

Bad blood over the Shah thing (our messing with their government) and the hostage situation....  it looked like we might break the cycle a little, then boom, current administration 

As for Saudi Arabia, well, oil, "allies" needed in that region (Though I put that word in quotes for a reason). It's why I'd like true energy independence , preferably as green as possible. 

7 hours ago, Michael Hopcroft said:

The Saudis, as a government. aren't particularly hostile to Israel while the Iranian government still funds and trains Hamas terrorists who specifically target Israel. And Iran still funds and trains other terrorist organizations who are anti-US and Iran gives shelter to terrorists when they're on the run from law enforcement.

The Saudis government is much more of a "royal family business" than a theocracy.

The Saudi royal family members are often educated in the West and have been willing to play ball on oil prices, Middle East security, FBI money-laundering probes into terrorism, stopping much of their own funding of Hamas, buying goods and services from US companies, etc. At least whenever the Saudis can do such things without compromising their own interests too much.

Iran's government, in contrast, still after all these years has a lot of people in it who spend their time leading chants of "Death to America" in order to whip up public support at home for the Iranian government.

That's pretty much why the US government considers one of those governments to be a casual ally while it doesn't consider the other one to be an ally at all.

Energy independence for the United States would diminish direct Saudi influence over American policy; but as long as most of the world uses oil, there would be plenty of takers to fill the gap left by American sales, and thereby extend their own influence over that crucial region of the world.

51 minutes ago, pinecone said:

Origin story waiting to happen...😁

That's when a ferret puts an accelerator in a particle physicist

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary puts a particle ferret in a physicist accelerator