In other news...

tkdguy

Interesting article about that AI development company Musk founded, OpenAI. 

https://www.vox.com/2019/5/15/18623134/openai-language-ai-gpt2-poetry-try-it

Basically a text generating AI. Pop in a bunch of fiction or poetry and it will spit out fiction or poetry.  Quite a bit is gibberish. Okay, most of it is gibberish, although some of the poetry still works because poetry can afford gibberish. (spoilered for length is an example from the article)

In their little room with the door ajar

And the candle hanging on the wall ajar,

I have come across the word “Rise”

With a face as grave and flat as you please.

The one thing I remember of “Rise”

Is the way it makes you feel — so bad, so bad.

And I’ve come across many words to-night

That are so like “Rise” — so like — so vague, so vague.

”Elegance,” and “Artistic Vigour,”

But “Rise” is far above the rest,

And I cannot hear — or see — the word,

I will just stop here (I’ll stop if I can).

If you don’t know what “Rise” means, try.

What I found more interesting was the ethics and motivation around the way OpenAI is slowly releasing their tools for use and analysis. They released a weaker version a few months ago, and a more powerful version just recently, but as DBZ would put it, "This isn't even my final form!"

They say: This is a dangerous technology. It would make it trivial to generate fake reviews on Amazon, or post fake news. Releasing it slowly gives people a chance to see ways it could be abused and how to prepare for it.

Critics say: This is just a ploy to generate hype and anticipation.

22 hours ago, tkdguy said:

Why am I never given an expensive bottle of wine? :(

The employee got off lightly. Most are fired for making that sort of mistake.

Closest I ever got to something like this was a free Dinner for two at Ruth Chris steakhouse after our waiter wandered off and forgot we existed.

The whole meal was free and they encouraged us to get a couple drinks and a dessert to make up for their failure.  Overall, pretty sweet deal.

On 5/17/2019 at 9:35 AM, Sociotard said:

Wow, 7 is pretty young for a cat to go.

Her famous frown was the result of a facial deformity, and she also had dwarfism. These had no relation to the urinary-tract disease that led to her being euthanized, but she was apparently never the healthiest of felines. Despite that, she was apparently a very sweet and friendly cat who was able to roll with all the bizarre public appearances she needed to do -- which made a fortune for her owners.

4 minutes ago, Cygnia said:

And it's this kind of crap that has turned me into a stodgy constitutionalist liberertarian.

The government doesn't need to invade every nook and cranny of human activity and decide what the rules are.  How about handle the very basics (law enforcement to prevent theft & bodily harm, roads, and national defense) and come back to the table after you've paid the national debt off.

This kind of crap is EVERYWHERE.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/brucejapsen/2019/05/14/philadelphia-soda-tax-cut-consumption-by-13-billion-ounces/#3d3706c4a518

Net result:  City wanted more tax revenue.  They raised soda taxes - a lot - and LOST half of their tax revenue as everyone went to buy their soda somewhere else.

Whenever you tax an activity you discourage that activity. 

The higher the tax rate - the more people will abandon the activity if they can.

Not a good day when the headlines give you ideas for your next Shadowrun game.

https://www.vox.com/recode/2019/5/21/18634505/baltimore-ransom-robbinhood-mayor-jack-young-hackers

(Baltimore's city data was encrypted, and the hackers are demanding bitcoins to decrypt it)

Seriously, it actually reminds me of the way old-timey bandit armies would hold cities hostage.

1 minute ago, Sociotard said:

Not a good day when the headlines give you ideas for your next Shadowrun game.

https://www.vox.com/recode/2019/5/21/18634505/baltimore-ransom-robbinhood-mayor-jack-young-hackers

(Baltimore's city data was encrypted, and the hackers are demanding bitcoins to decrypt it)

Seriously, it actually reminds me of the way old-timey bandit armies would hold cities hostage.

Surprised me too... in my last post  in this thread ;)

No worries.  But sadly there's nothing unusual about ransomware.  Prior to Baltimore, NotPetya almost destroyed Maersk; they were only able to recover because a backup server in some remote office was powered off while everything else was infected.  They still lost $300M.  NotPetya also cost Mondelez $100M.  WannaCry almost destroyed Norsk Hydro and cost them $40M.  We ourselves got hit with a Zepto variant three years ago that took out two stores and a district office--no critical data loss, but it took a few days to replace the affected equipment. 

Baltimore's CIO had submitted a plan to implement security and DR measures, and buy cyberinsurance, to counter this exact type of threat, but was ignored.  The moral of the story is that organizations cannot ignore or shortchange cybersecurity, and that Symantec sucks.

55 minutes ago, Cygnia said:

This car doesn't have seat warmers or a rear camera...

...and this car doesn't have WiFi hotspot or a water sensitive windshield...

...but this car is juuuust right.