In other news...

tkdguy

I hadn't even heard about the stuff in Darwin until I looked at this thread. :(

I don't play much attention to the media here. Way too much Murdoch stuff. Unfortunately, this occasionally has side effects.

Strangely, it turns out that Darwin has only a slightly larger population than the horrible provincial city (Toowoomba) I live in. (About 10000 more. Nothing given the size of the cities.)

2 minutes ago, death tribble said:

Rafael Nadal wins his 12th French Open

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/48574263

I predicted that would happen. Of course, it's a safe bet, since Nadal is the King of Clay for good reason.

I sympathize with Thiem coming up just short again. He has a taste of what Murray must have felt before finally winning a Grand Slam.

Paul Darrow, best known for playing the ruthless antihero Kerr Avon in the cult classic SF series Blakes 7, has died after a brief illness at the age of 78.

I especially recommend "Rumours of Death" for "Peak Avon".

Although Avon was the best role he ever got in television, he remained a working actor for most of his adult life.

On a personal level, Avon and B7 were one of the reasons I got into British Media fandom (for good or ill).

I remember the build-up to the Tiananmen Square "suppression" in 1989; I was a postdoc in Seattle, and the big plaza ("Red Square" because it's all paved in red brick) had significant demonstrations in support of the pro-democracy movement; it was also a stone's throw away from where my office was.  I bought a t-shirt from them before the tanks rolled and the demonstrators vanished.  Not sure where that shirt is now; I definitely stashed it away for safekeeping.

Ivan Golunov, an "investigative reporter" in Moscow, has been in jail jail for a week under drug charges. Not only were the charges generally considered an outright fabrication, but his treatment at the hands of Russian police has been brutal.

In a rare reversal, Golunov was given complete vindication and released. In addition, several police officials, including two Generals (yes, Russia has Generals commanding police forces), have been sacked by the Interior Minister. 

Russia is having regional elections in September, and while the outcome is not in doubt there is a potential for major embarrassment in the international community if Vladimir Putin, the Russian dictator, makes other blatant measures to silence his critics before them. And certainly imprisoning other journalists is something that is being noted.