In other news...

tkdguy

14 minutes ago, death tribble said:

I tend to think of myself as pretty knowledgeable on movies so when did Disney do Avengers Endgame or Avengers Infinity War (for example) beforehand ?

I was referring to re-releases of Beauty and the Beast, The Lion King, Alladin, etc.

Aladdin was good, inasmuch as Jasmine was an actual character rather than window dressing in this version and Will Smith didn't try to be Robin Williams. BatB was okay, but not particularly compelling.

2 hours ago, death tribble said:

The fun people had with Trump's gaffe

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-trending-48880867

In a tweet which has been liked more than 5,600 times, Patricia A Valenti-R said: "The history lesson was superb since most young people today have no clue about our real history."

Old people too, apparently. :rolleyes:

7 minutes ago, Old Man said:

That’s edging up into real-quake territory. 

Loma Prieta in 1989 was a magnitude 6.9, but that was in a highly-populated area. That's the one that collapsed part of the double-decker freeway in Oakland.

Northridge in 1994 was a magnitude 6.7, but was actually in Los Angeles County, so it did a lot of damage. The shaking here in Las Vegas from that one woke us up.

So, I'm at the movies watching Spiderman with 8 of my best friends when the 7.1 hit more than 100 miles away.  The rolling waves  felt like at  least 30 seconds.  You could tell the non-Californians by who got up and quickly left the theater.  The rest of us just stayed in our seats and watched  the movie. 

Cullman's got some interesting folks in it. By interesting, I mean some of the worst stereotypically hillbilly shenanigans  you'd ever see. Ranging from "I met a black feller once, he was OK," to "Does the color come off if I shake your hand?" Then there's the forced shock treatments to keep a wife in line, shooting across roadways, animal abuse . . . You'd probably not be surprised to learn they also used to have a major Klan presence. Parts of the county are pretty off the beaten track, too. Not surprised  by this story in the least. (My Father's side of the family is from Cullman. I have a bunch of great- and great-great aunts and  uncles there. Met a very cute 3rd cousin at a family reunion one year, who the greats- were trying to hook me up with. The place is sometimes a straight up Jeff Foxworthy routine.) To be fair, most of the folks are pretty nice in Cullman,  if not the most forward-thinking. Or just thinking.

Interesting map re: last week's Ridgecrest earthquakes

The color scale in the link has got a really cursory description that I am trying to learn more about.  From another site: "each color cycle represents 11.45 cm of ground displacement in the radar line of sight (28° from vertical and roughly east)".  

Ah.  more info here.  OK, that's the net difference between maps made in April 2018 and one two days ago, so it includes the net displacement from all the activity between the two ... which is mostly since July 4, but there are many hundreds of quakes contributing to all that displacement.