In other news...

tkdguy

1 hour ago, death tribble said:

A powerful earthquake has hit the Greece capital Athens

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-49047793

That looked pretty tame all things considered.  Didn't we have one in California that was 2 points higher recently?

Arsonist setting fire to an animation studio is some heinous shit.  30+ dead and 30+ more with burn wounds.  :(

If that were a mass shooting in the USA the arsonist would reach the #3 spot among recent entries with only Las Vegas and Pulse being worse.

They better find that creep.  G'damn that is upsetting.

Well, those days are generally guaranteed to be days off work to allow for a true celebration.  Halloween is actually one of the most popular holidays in America.  The petition argues for making it the last Saturday of the month, thus allowing for a full day to celebrate and ensuring it doesn't occur on school night's which benefits children and parents.

6 minutes ago, death tribble said:

And the Lord sayeth that Super Bowl Monday shall be an day of celebration and rejoicing except when the Dallas Cowboys or New England Patriots are victors when the Day shall be one of National Mourning

I suppose it was statistically inevitable that we'd agree on something football-related eventually. :thumbup:

:think: Halloween is like Groundhog Day and Walpurgisnacht/May Day (and the forgotten-in-mainstream-US Lammas).  The traditional "dates" are not calendar dates, but astronomical cross-quarter days (in that they are the midpoints between equinox & solstice), and are strictly from the solar calendar (there's no lunar dependence to them, unlike e.g. Passover, Easter, etc.).  That they occur on fixed calendar dates which are actually correct almost every year is actually a testament to the construction of the Gregorian calendar.

I have held forth before on the importance of the actual astronomical phenomena with respect to timekeeping and calendation, so I won't bother to continue here.

Besides, last Saturday of October will collide with lots of much-more-important college football observances :rolleyes: 

EDIT: to Pariah: Jinx, I owe you a Coke