In other news...

tkdguy

On 8/14/2019 at 9:52 AM, Cancer said:

The main problem I would have with that is that teachers and policy-makers already have problems distinguishing between reality and fiction. Exposing them to more fiction might be helpful...but it might only enable them to latch more firmly onto the easily-grasped portions of the fiction and to continue to be ignorant of the science.

I would disagree that teachers and policy-makers have any more problem distinguishing between reality and fiction than any other person. If anything they have less problems as a group, because they're regularly exposed to expert information as part of their jobs. Ignorance, bias and stupidity are the biggest causes for that problem, and those two groups don't really have an excuse for ignorance unless it's willful.

1 hour ago, archer said:

The main problem I would have with that is that teachers and policy-makers already have problems distinguishing between reality and fiction.

Well intentioned academics and bureaucrats can be incredibly dangerous.  I mean, this is so well understood that it is often the basis for fictional super-villain types.

If the uneducated masses only understood how much better off they'll be after I disintegrate 1/2 of all life in the universe.

The real life counterparts are so horrific they defy comprehension - democide at 250+ million last century.

On 8/16/2019 at 8:04 AM, Pariah said:

I've got a friend who's a university professor (Communications) who just took  one-year sabbatical to focus on writing a book on comic book superheroines as a metaphor for the #metoo movement.

Of course, good science fiction has always had a strong element of social and political commentary.

There was a collection of philosophical essays devoted to Buffy during its run. The most provocative, "Brownskirts: Fascism, Christianity, and The Eternal Demon", explored the idea that Buffy was promoting fascism. Given Joss Whedon's later behavior (and revelations about his earlier behavior) there may be a point to it (although I am in no position to judge). I may have to read that book to get a firmer grasp in light of later events in the world.

On 8/17/2019 at 9:01 PM, Lord Liaden said:

So, you get rid of the breast cancer, but add more fat.

I doubt any woman would call that an unqualified win.

On 8/18/2019 at 1:06 AM, Old Man said:

It’s all about the location when it comes to fat. 

3 hours ago, ScottishFox said:

Depends on where you place the fat.  :)

Please note, I'm not talking about what men think about it. :winkgrin: