In other news...

tkdguy

4 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

Bananapocalypse! That's trademark-able! :rockon:

"Bananapocalypse" may indeed be trademark-able. I first heard about this issue from a textbook at work. It has been going on for years. And "banana apocalypse" has been used in that article.

56 minutes ago, csyphrett said:

Also women joggers

CES

Women joggers are defecating on people's lawns? :nonp:

32 minutes ago, tkdguy said:

Women joggers are defecating on people's lawns? :nonp:

I don't know if Old Man's report is the same lady, but Woody and Wilcox reported a guy finding poop on his yard the same time every day. So he set up a camera and caught this woman stopping in the middle of her jog to poop on his lawn. I can't remember if he went out and confronted her.

Woody and Wilcox do it happened in Florida and this is the type of story that they profile for their game. One of the others was a man lost 150 pounds because it wasn't fat, it was a tumor.

CES  

One of the biggest questions in physics of late may have been inspired by The Matrix and its premise of "what if the universe is a simulation, and how would we know if it was?" The question is whether any conceivable experiment could be performed that would disprove this theory that we live in a simulated cosmos?

The films are about why the answer to such a question matters. If the Universe is a simulation, then if you learn how it works (as Morpheus did) you should be able to "game the system", which Neo does in some fairly spectacular ways. The idea is also generally disturbing because it calls into question the purpose of such an endeavor. If someone did create a simulated universe, they would be the equivalent of God -- but then why did they do it, and do they particularly care what happens inside their simulation to the individuals who are part of it? Do they know they even exist?

I  would be curious to hear one of the scientists on the forum update me on what the status of the argument is. Have people come up with an answer to the question, and if so how -- and what can they do to verify or attempt to disprove their answer?

4 minutes ago, Michael Hopcroft said:

One of the biggest questions in physics of late may have been inspired by The Matrix and its premise of "what if the universe is a simulation, and how would we know if it was?" The question is whether any conceivable experiment could be performed that would disprove this theory that we live in a simulated cosmos?

The films are about why the answer to such a question matters. If the Universe is a simulation, then if you learn how it works (as Morpheus did) you should be able to "game the system", which Neo does in some fairly spectacular ways. The idea is also generally disturbing because it calls into question the purpose of such an endeavor. If someone did create a simulated universe, they would be the equivalent of God -- but then why did they do it, and do they particularly care what happens inside their simulation to the individuals who are part of it? Do they know they even exist?

I  would be curious to hear one of the scientists on the forum update me on what the status of the argument is. Have people come up with an answer to the question, and if so how -- and what can they do to verify or attempt to disprove their answer?

Given the various problems with the simulation, I'd say that it's a student project.

I've heard of this idea, but have never pursued it.  (This is a personal preference: I personally find it difficult to distinguish this from debates over the existence of God, and I find that to be the ultimate in all-heat-no-light debates: IMO it is impossible to resolve on a rational basis -- God representing a logical singularity about which logical arguments cannot work, and therefore it cannot escape being an argument of personal preference.)

20 minutes ago, Michael Hopcroft said:

15 minutes ago, Ternaugh said:

Given the various problems with the simulation, I'd say that it's a student project.

If it were a simulation, it might be one that was set in motion and then ignored for a while. Which is pretty close to what Thomas Jefferson believed about the universe.

To me the question then becomes, can you influence the reality that is hosting our simulation?  Certain simulations that we run have definite effects on our own reality--esports and hurricane models, for example.  Not earthshaking levels of influence, but just because you're a simulation doesn't mean you have zero control.

Note also that the simulation could become more real than reality in some ways.  Look at what's happened to people in the Facebook bubble.

18 hours ago, Old Man said:

To me the question then becomes, can you influence the reality that is hosting our simulation? 

Yes. This was one of the cornerstone foundations of the pre-modern worldview that modernity abandoned. With modernity we became observers not influencers of corporeal reality.  

Although if if you are after something a bit modern have a look at James Gibson’s ecological psychology. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ecological_psychology#Gibson

Other modern takes that may be seen to be related, is #1 Franz Bretano’s intentionality (act psychology, cf Psychology from an Empirical Standpoint (1874, 2nd edition 1924)) which formed the basis for Edmund Husserl’s Phenonomology); and #2 G. E. M. Anscombe’s Intention (1957).

3 hours ago, Cancer said:

Nor is it in my Dictionary of Places I Wish Didn't Exist. Like Colfax, Washington, McGuire AFB, Lubyanka Square, and everything named Trump Tower.

There's a lot of places of business in the US which have the name "World Trade Center" and which haven't changed their names since 9-11.

Very jarring to drive passed one of them.