tkdguy

In other news...

10 hours ago, tkdguy said:

I just learned that if another 20% of the Amazon is burned, it will kick off a feedback cycle known as "dieback", wherein the rainforest is not large enough to trigger the rains that sustain it.

The recent burns have also added a very large amount of carbon to the atmosphere, so there's that.

3 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

Destroyer would never allow lowly coral polyps to hitch a ride on his island. Not unless he genetically engineered them to grow to giant size and eat people.

Which I would provisionally support.

5 hours ago, Old Man said:

I just learned that if another 20% of the Amazon is burned, it will kick off a feedback cycle known as "dieback", wherein the rainforest is not large enough to trigger the rains that sustain it.

The recent burns have also added a very large amount of carbon to the atmosphere, so there's that.

The current Brazilian president is catering to the wealthy landowners who want to create as much exploitable short-lasting farm and ranch land as they can, as fast as they can. In other words, "I got mine, to Hell with future generations. It won't be MY problem."

That he so blatantly and disingenuously denies responsibility and blames Non-Government Organizations for starting all these fires, is one more dangerous example of how global populist-talking elite politicians have embraced the Trump playbook.

11 hours ago, Pariah said:

It's been seventy years since we were at war with Japan, and to my knowledge we've never been at war with New Zealand. Why would Americans care where either of those countries are?

Godzilla and Middle-Earth?

On 8/23/2019 at 3:33 AM, tkdguy said:

Wildfire in the Amazon rainforest

According to the article the fire activity is slightly below average for the last 15 years.

Wiki also has this.

While it is SUPER bad to be destroying the rain forest - I'm not sure why it was initially reported in such apocalyptic terms.  2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2007 and 2010 were all much worse and 2016 was nearly as bad.

image.png.9a7f64915f496b992be6c73d3ccaae29.png