In other news...

tkdguy

On 8/29/2019 at 3:57 PM, Logan.1179 said:

So, the latest projections have Dorian scraping us off the map. I haven't been hit full force by a hurricane since I moved here, but I never had one aimed so perfectly before either. Should be fun.

Spectrum News is reporting that you should get out of there Log

CES 

1 hour ago, Old Man said:

Wtf is wrong with people?

Meth addiction there in Oregon.  Everyone I know, who has stayed in a motel in Oregon, with a van or trailer has had their stuff stolen. some Motels have a security guard in the parking lot, but that isn't common yet.

Harry Potter books removed from Nashville Catholic School

"These books present magic as both good and evil, which is not true, but in fact a clever deception. The curses and spells used in the books are actual curses and spells; which when read by a human being risk conjuring evil spirits into the presence of the person reading the text"

1 hour ago, Starlord said:

"These books present magic as both good and evil, which is not true, but in fact a clever deception. The curses and spells used in the books are actual curses and spells; which when read by a human being risk conjuring evil spirits into the presence of the person reading the text"

Reminds me of losing my D&D basic & expert games as a wee lad when the parents decided that D&D was from the devil.

Still DM'ing 40 years later.  :)

3 hours ago, Starlord said:

Honestly, my first thought on reading this is, "A little late to this particular party, aren't we?"

6 hours ago, Starlord said:

2 hours ago, Pariah said:

Honestly, my first thought on reading this is, "A little late to this particular party, aren't we?"

2 hours ago, Ternaugh said:

Their Chick tracts were delayed in the mail.

I don't think that's likely given Jack Chick's genocidal hatred of Catholics. Apparently he didn't like Mormons or Jews much either.

This priest would not approve of my sister, a Lutheran pastor who was quite fond of the Potter books and films. Rowling's magic may be a stand-in for something else more fundamental to human nature. Our intellects, for example, can be used for good or evil in all sorts of ways, as can the Scientific Method and just about any other source of temporal power. Even religious faith has the same potential when the intent of the "user" is clouded by hatred and fear. And we are all surrounded by Dark Arts of varying descriptions every step of our way in life,