In other news...

tkdguy

It would go a long way if they would just Stop. Making. Shit! generally. ;)

But what I find interesting, as someone who works in the performing arts, is how the relative approaches of movies and television have reversed over the decades. For a long time in the past, when a few networks dominated television, movies were seen as the prestige medium, where work that was  more challenging and artistically satisfying was done. Television and the people who worked in it were considered mass-media entertainment, not aiming to break new ground or challenge anyone's thinking. But over time the film producers' obsession with box-office "blockbusters" has led them more and more to make movies aimed at the widest possible demographic -- dare I say, the lowest common denominator. OTOH the plethora of alternative television networks and streaming services has fragmented their viewing public, so each producer has to increasingly take chances and push boundaries to find their own niche among the audience.

10 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

It would go a long way if they would just Stop. Making. Shit! generally. ;)

But what I find interesting, as someone who works in the performing arts, is how the relative approaches of movies and television have reversed over the decades. For a long time in the past, when a few networks dominated television, movies were seen as the prestige medium, where work that was  more challenging and artistically satisfying was done. Television and the people who worked in it were considered mass-media entertainment, not aiming to break new ground or challenge anyone's thinking. But over time the film producers' obsession with box-office "blockbusters" has led them more and more to make movies aimed at the widest possible demographic -- dare I say, the lowest common denominator. OTOH the plethora of alternative television networks and streaming services has fragmented their viewing public, so each producer has to increasingly take chances and push boundaries to find their own niche among the audience.

Yeah, it's an interesting switch. I can understand it, as multiple seasons allow for longer stories, whereas movies made of books, for example, used to always be heavily abridged.

I worry about how the TV thing will last. I like a lot of newer shows, but I worry that Game of Thrones might reveal something to look out for. I feel like, even had the books been done, the people in charge just wanted to get it over with. I hope that doesn't turn into a common thing.

On the flip side, I suspect that these sorts of TV series are putting pressure to produce book series that are not as serialized book by book, and will likely create a lot of pressure to actually plot further ahead than many writers have in the past.

To avoid problems like Game of Thrones, or, even earlier in the process, Heroes, which clearly they either had no plan after the first season, or couldn't stand up to pressure. Or Lost, which just felt like it was made up as it went along.

Babylon 5, if made now, actually wouldn't have half the problems they faced then. Early outlier on the long form TV show.

Sorry, got babbling...

6 hours ago, tkdguy said:

Aron Eisenberg, who played Nog on Deep Space Nine, has passed away.

Damn. :(

50 is way too young (Says a guy getting there)

I adored the character development of Nog. They took what was at best a 'dead end kid' character from a previously joke species, and developed his storyline into an amazing immigrant experience where he took what was best from the culture of his heritage and used it to make his way into the culture of his choice.

Aron Eisenberg has said of Nog, "The thing that I thought they did so well with Nog was that they didn't make him perfect. He joined Starfleet with the determination and the tenacity to succeed, but he didn't always make the right decision, but he always kept trying again. And I always felt that Nog was one of the most Human characters on that show."

22 hours ago, pinecone said:

"Alexa, dim the M'F' lights" "If you want the M"F" lights dim, why'd you turn them up? Dim your own d" M"F" lights!"...lol

Wasn't that the premise of some commercials a while back?  I remember one with Rebel Wilson saying something like "Do it yourself," then the regular Alexa voice comes on and says, "Thanks, Rebel, but I'll take it from here."

Personally, I'd rather have the voice of Catherine Zeta-Jones or Salma Hayek on my Alexa machine--if I ever get one.  And if either of those voices were programmed to respond by saying "Yes, Master" to my requests--that would be really great.

I've said too much, haven't I?