In other news...

tkdguy

Damn it!

Every time I forget that long enough to think "Hmm...  I haven't done a Dragon Con since the 80s..."

Something reminds me of it.

I mean, thank you, to be sure! But still: I live in the southeastern US.  It is the _one_ Con I have any hope of ever attending......   :(

7 hours ago, Hermit said:

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/amber-guyger-found-guilty-murder-trial-fatal-shooting-neighbor-botham-n1060506

A police officer murders someone and actually is found guilty.

So many folks are surprised that it appears that a cop has faced the same consequence a non police officer would have in the same situation.

Surprised?!  Dude, I am, as we speak, hunting a third source (not just a passover from a wire service), just to be sure this is real.

10 hours ago, Hermit said:

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/amber-guyger-found-guilty-murder-trial-fatal-shooting-neighbor-botham-n1060506

A police officer murders someone and actually is found guilty.

So many folks are surprised that it appears that a cop has faced the same consequence a non police officer would have in the same situation.

10 hours ago, Old Man said:

I’ve found that Female Cops’ Lives Don’t Matter Quite As Much, in practice. 

7 hours ago, Zeropoint said:

I'm one of them. This makes me wonder what made them so quick to throw her under the bus allow justice to be served.

I don't think any cop with a brain would view eating ice cream in  your own apartment as an appropriate cause for an (off-duty) officer to use deadly force.

And the ten-year sentence is ludicrous. She should have gotten at least twenty. And if what she had posted on her Pinterest account was any indication, no rational police department should have let her anywhere near a firearm.

28 minutes ago, Michael Hopcroft said:

no rational police department should have let her anywhere near a firearm.

You'd be surprised just how many cops you can apply that to.

My (now ex) brother in law-- decades before he married my sister in law-- and I were roommates. He was a cop, and through him I met so many other cops.....

There seems to be something about the job itself-- perhaps it's the "I get to carry a gun openly and anywhere and anytime I want" aspect (I always figured that was a big appeal for a lot of them); I don't know.  But law enforcement seems to just _attract_ was more lunatics, violence-prone people, and outright bully mentalities than anything else I've ever seen.  It's stinkin' _frightening_.

Don't get me wrong: I thoroughly enjoy firearms myself.  But the only times in my life I ever actively wished I was _carrying_ one were instances when I was talking to off-duty _cops_!  At any rate, as soon as I found a better roommate situation (that is: finished rehabbing the house I had bought the previous year), I eased my stuff right out the door....

Thought I was done with him, too.  Till my sister in law discovered him a couple decades later and _married_ him!

Here's the _best_ part:  they met on a conspiracy theory website, in a thread about how the politicians were secretly in league to take firearms from the citizens, and all the ways to make sure you had your guns and ammo hidden well enough that they couldn't be found, and how and where to acquire unregistered weapons, etc, etc, etc.  And they loved to tell the story about how they were already flirting on some doomsday preper site before finding each other on the conspiracy site.

And I swear to you, with one exception, all the cops I've ever met fit that mould.   (The other one was just a thief.  No; not making that up)

23 hours ago, Pattern Ghost said:

I think a civilian would have gotten manslaughter in that case. She was made an example of.

I hope a civilian would have gotten murder as well.

You walk into someone else's apartment and completely fail to recognize none of your furniture, decorations, things are present and then instead of going, "What the f*ck are you doing in my place?" you blast the guy?

Like, how far gone do you have to be to not only walk into the wrong home, but fail to notice that you've done so before you shoot someone?

Painful to think that an armed and eager-to-shoot police officer would be so painful oblivious to what is happening around them.

The article didn't really go into specifics. Some of the lesser murder charges are similar to manslaughter in their requirements for conviction. From what details I've seen so far, it looks more manslaughter level circumstances, but it'd be interesting to see some actual details in an article, rather than glossing over the legal stuff to get into the racial components of the case.  As far as I can tell so far, she seems like a flighty dipshit rather than someone with intent. And, yes, there are people who are exactly that oblivious. Tunnel vision and auditory exclusion when in fight or flight mode can make someone who's in a panic hyper focus on what they believe to be the threat. Though to be honest, when I first found out about the case, I thought there'd be something on her blood screen. I'm kind of surprised there wasn't. It's a colossal act of stupidity at the very least.

OK, I've read a few more articles on that TX case. Looks like they didn't prove malice sufficiently to me, but used some of her social media posts to establish it with the jury. They seem to have simply stacked the jury and swung for the fences with the charges to avoid a race riot here. This is the sort of thing that would have normally been a manslaughter charge, IMO.

2 hours ago, Pattern Ghost said:

Apparently, quite a big one. Some people cannot be trusted with weapons or in any kind of stressful environment.

And it sounds like this police officer may belong in that category. Which should have been established before she was ever given a weapon.