In other news...

tkdguy

5 hours ago, Pattern Ghost said:

OK, I've read a few more articles on that TX case. Looks like they didn't prove malice sufficiently to me, but used some of her social media posts to establish it with the jury. They seem to have simply stacked the jury and swung for the fences with the charges to avoid a race riot here. This is the sort of thing that would have normally been a manslaughter charge, IMO.

Prosecutors often over-charge cops with crimes that they think the evidence will never support and juries will never convict on. It would be greatly amusing if this tactic backfired in this case. 

4 hours ago, Old Man said:

Prosecutors often over-charge cops with crimes that they think the evidence will never support and juries will never convict on. It would be greatly amusing if this tactic backfired in this case. 

Good point. She didn't exactly get the stiffest sentence for whatever level of murder the conviction was, either. Ten years is a drop in the bucket compared to the years she took from that man and his family.

2 hours ago, Cancer said:

Looks to me like my radical paranoia over biological and physiological personal data has developed as I expected. Or, perhaps, worse, though my poorly-worked-out suspicions that spurious results will become possible for a fee don't seem to have been blown open yet.  Yet.

you and me both, Amigo.

The BBC are running a Panorama programme tonight exposing online seduction where men are told to how to get women. In response Youtube has taken down videos from two of the main offenders.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-49957059

And this is the article on the BBC website about the Panorama programme

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/extra/tmZeuc7TX0/the-seduction-game

30 minutes ago, death tribble said:

Youtube has taken down videos from two of the main offenders.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-49957059

First, I can't believe people fall for this nonsense. 

Second, I can't believe women fall for this nonsense any more than they would fall for any "non-proffessional" nonsense like it. 

Third, I think Taki g it down was the sro g approach.  YouTube should have put ads all over the internet inviting women to come and see how pathetic these people are (and let them learn what behaviors tip them off to sleaze bags and morons). 

Much of Northern California is suffering from power outages. The electric company is shutting down power to several counties. High winds and dry conditions are causing concerns about wildfires.

This will affect about 800 thousand people according to some estimates. I have not yet been affected. 

2 hours ago, tkdguy said:

Much of Northern California is suffering from power outages. The electric company is shutting down power to several counties. High winds and dry conditions are causing concerns about wildfires.

This will affect about 800 thousand people according to some estimates. I have not yet been affected. 

Woof.

See https://poweroutage.us/area/state/california for a map and other information.

3 hours ago, tkdguy said:

Glad I don't live in California

Update on the power outage: Although power has been restored in a few areas, many people still have to endure the loss of electricity. My area wasn't affected.

PG&E declared bankruptcy in January after being having to pay tens of billions of dollars for its role in the wildfires in recent years. Someone I know suggested that this power outage is the company's revenge for having to pay all that money.

5 hours ago, tkdguy said:

PG&E declared bankruptcy in January after being having to pay tens of billions of dollars for its role in the wildfires in recent years. Someone I know suggested that this power outage is the company's revenge for having to pay all that money.

Well clearly it's a conspiracy.    I mean, any company that pays out billions of dollars in fines should have billions left for day-to-day operations and maintaining infrastructure, right?