In other news...

tkdguy

Yes, and GM did, and Dodge did, and still got tax money to fund their operations. 

The fact of the matter is that, much like our very own Congress, those who have the power to give themselves the money will, as history has shown over and over, give themselves the money.  That lesson gets taught to us as children and hammered into us over and over again as the reason that true democracies ultimately fail.  (along the way, we seem to have stopped teaching that). 

And as far as altruism, I think that was covered in another thread. 

The person whose sentiment I shared isn't the only one saying this. And there will likely be a big backlash over this fiasco. People who were affected first weren't given enough time. Even the CEO admitted that PG&E botched this incident. And yes, the company should have made improvements before now. Nothing was done after the 2010 pipeline explosion in San Bruno -- where I live. Why wasn't anything done? Maybe the wildfires that happened the last couple of years wouldn't have been as devatating.

It's like all the CEOs everywhere know the corporate economy is about to hit the biggest damn iceberg you'll ever see in your life, and want to hoard everything for themselves before impact, leaving nothing for anyone else as they take the only lifeboats.

It wouldn't surprise me at all. They sure don't care about their employees.

GE freezes pensions of 20,000 employees

9 hours ago, Pattern Ghost said:

Re: The Amber Guyger case. Looks like Murder is the appropriate charge in TX for the circumstance. TX law is a bit different on the matter of Murder vs Manslaughter.

I was totally fine with the murder charge and conviction in that case.

She walked into someone else's apartment.

Didn't notice the furniture was not hers.

Didn't notice the decor was not hers.

Saw someone in the place who most likely said something along the lines of, "What the f*ck are you doing in MY apartment?!"  and THEN shot the guy.

The defense that you just stumble into someone else's apartment and completely fail to realize you've done so is so weak it strains credulity.

Does she not lock her own door?  Did her key fit someone else's door or did she just walk into an unlocked apartment?

The idea that she'll be out on good behavior in 4-5 years while the neighbor gets to stay dead forever cannot be justice.

1 hour ago, ScottishFox said:

Maybe I'm wearing my civilian pants here, but if I see my front door is open I'm calling the police before I do anything else.

Then again - I've never tried to walk into a complete strangers home...

I have tried to walk into (nearly) complete strangers' home, once. 

This happened 25 years ago, shortly after we had bought and moved into our house and we hadn't yet met all the neighbors.  One afternoon the folks behind us left a pot of something on the stove and then went off on some errand.  Sometime later I smelled smoke (didn't see any) and spent about 20 minutes wandering randomly in and around our new house trying to figure out where it was coming from (I'm sensitive about smoke smell since my apartment had burned once while I was on a road trip), and then I looked over the back fence and saw smoke coming enthusiastically out from under the eaves of their house.  I had my wife call the Fire Dept while I tried to see if there was anyone inside.  They weren't there and the doors were locked, of course, so I couldn't get in, though I tried pretty hard.  When the fire engine arrived, I identified myself to the firemen.

Not sure I'd try again, but only because I'm 63, not in particularly good shape, and I have a nice strong 20+-year-old son living at home who's more suited to physical heroics like that.

Cardinal Newman is made a saint, first British saint in over 40 years.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-50032640

Simone Biles sets a record for most World Championship gymnastics medals

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/gymnastics/50034242

Brigid Kosgei sets new Women's marathon record

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/athletics/50035304

Oh, God, that is just great. Now whatever footage actually comes from northern Syria is going to be decried as fake, and the real events will be denied by whoever finds that to his or her political advantage. :(

Whoever signed off on that ABC footage, whether intentionally or accidentally, should have their asses kicked out of the journalistic profession. They've just handed ammunition to the critics of independent reporting and the whole fourth estate. :angry:

7 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

Oh, God, that is just great. Now whatever footage actually comes from northern Syria is going to be decried as fake, and the real events will be denied by whoever finds that to his or her political advantage. :(

Whoever signed off on that ABC footage, whether intentionally or accidentally, should have their asses kicked out of the journalistic profession. They've just handed ammunition to the critics of independent reporting and the whole fourth estate. :angry:

Exactly my thought. Journalism is more visibly "Lazy and sensationalist" (To use the words of Jon Stewart) than ever it seems and this plays right into an assault on the Freedom of the Press. And despite what the media giants might hope, not all Americans instantly forget once the story fades about errors born of said laziness, sensationalism, or yes, even apparent bias of ideology or who owns them. A lot of it seems to be the sheer excess of youtube goodies they and other social media they can report on but they're so eager to get the news FIRST they seem to neglect getting it RIGHT. The whole situation with the Covington Kids comes to mind. What? it was actually a group calling themselves the  Black Hebrew ­Israelites who were doing the racist stuff and it snowballed wildly from there? WHOOPS

No harm done..riiight? .

Bull.

If I were one of those kids, I'd trust a magic 8 ball before I trusted mainstream media after this. And you can bet a lot of other folks in their area and beyond now feel the same, all because the press didn't want to do the WORK before jumping in with a Social media mob and calling it news.

Now you got this, thank goodness no death threats to innocent (if smirky) teenagers, but once again, it undermines the Mainstream Media and People will use that as a way to attack Freedom of Press period.