In other news...

tkdguy

"Like the frog in the slowly heating pot, Australia’s major media organisations have belatedly realised they are in a most uncomfortable fix.

After mostly cheerleading the 75 or so increasingly more draconian national security laws introduced over the past 18 years, they now realise they have unwittingly encouraged an erosion of their freedom to report, inform and hold government to account."

Australia is on a slippery slope to tyranny

One of my colleagues has just returned from Hong Kong, and his view of the protesters is different from that of the western press. He said the protesters have trashed businesses and banks that are based in China. They break into the stores and destroy the merchandise (they claim not to steal anything). Keep in mind the workers in the stores and banks are Hong Kong natives. They also trash the subway every day. My colleague likened the protesters' attitude to that of the Third Reich in that they are racist towards their own people.

I've heard similar remarks. It's natural for democratic countries to want to cheer a movement that proclaims itself defending  individual freedom; but mass demonstrations very often inadvertently encourage looting and vandalism, and are exploited by those who want them to support their personal agendas.

I expect both perspectives on the Hong Kong demonstrations have a lot of validity, but they're also framed by the biases of whoever reports on them.

4 hours ago, tkdguy said:

One of my colleagues has just returned from Hong Kong, and his view of the protesters is different from that of the western press. He said the protesters have trashed businesses and banks that are based in China. They break into the stores and destroy the merchandise (they claim not to steal anything). Keep in mind the workers in the stores and banks are Hong Kong natives. They also trash the subway every day. My colleague likened the protesters' attitude to that of the Third Reich in that they are racist towards their own people.

Ah well, no good cause goes untarnished I suppose :(

Or as LL said.

I read that they're not just trashing Chinese-based businesses, but those which are state run. So, trying to hurt the Chinese government in the wallet. As for shutting down the subways? Seems like one of the few things a bunch of civilians can do to have a major impact. So, I can see a "logic" to the targeted violence, if it is indeed targeted in the way I've seen presented. It's of course impossible to know the whole truth of any story without first hand experience of the situation, and even then can still be hard.

But this is pretty much the American mythos of violent overthrow of an oppressive rule being played out in modern times. I find that angle interesting.

2 hours ago, Starlord said:

I'm happy that the administrators had the guts to do it. High school football, while not anywhere near NCAA levels, can still be a big moneymaker for schools. It's nice to see the administration taking a principled stand.

A big school where my father-in-law lives (about 90 miles north of here) canceled their football program this year because not enough kids were turning out.

And I mean a big school.  Not like one of the places I went to high school, where the graduating class of 1971 called itself "The Roaring Twenty", because that's how large the whole class was.

Video appears to show New Mexico football coach stealing cash from players in locker room

From the article:

For weeks, players had been mysteriously losing cash from their wallets, parents told NBC affiliate KOB. It had gotten so bad that players had been suspecting each other of the thefts and Roanhaus claimed to be a victim too, parents said.

Roanhaus had even made players run extra laps at practice as punishment for one of them allegedly stealing, the parents told KOB.

Unbelievable. 

1 hour ago, Pariah said:

Unbelievable. 

Not at all. 

I have stated that my most unpopular opinion on the HERO boards is my ambivalence toward the idea of losing character points permanently. 

My most widely unpopular opinion everywhere in America is that football is a cancer on sports. 

1 hour ago, Duke Bushido said:

Not at all. 

I have stated that my most unpopular opinion on the HERO boards is my ambivalence toward the idea of losing character points permanently. 

My most widely unpopular opinion everywhere in America is that football is a cancer on sports. 

"It has been said, not inaptly, that the relation of football to physical culture is much the same as that of the bull-fight to agriculture." --Thorstein Veblen, The Theory of the Leisure Class