In other news...

tkdguy

9 hours ago, tkdguy said:

As a person with some scientific curiosity, it would be the event of a lifetime for me to see a supernova in our stellar neighborhood. And my space-obsessed six-year-old son? He would completely lose his mind.

Of course, to see the Betelgeuse supernova, it would have to have happened already, six-hundred-some-odd years ago. In short, nothing I can do but wait.

Still, pretty exciting stuff.

9 hours ago, Pariah said:

As a person with some scientific curiosity, it would be the event of a lifetime for me to see a supernova in our stellar neighborhood. And my space-obsessed six-year-old son? He would completely lose his mind.

Of course, to see the Betelgeuse supernova, it would have to have happened already, six-hundred-some-odd years ago. In short, nothing I can do but wait.

Still, pretty exciting stuff.

If it does explode, it'll be an unresolved point source (to the unaided eye) comparable in brightness to the full moon, though there's a lot of slop in that estimate.  At a distance of about 220 parsecs, it'll be spectacular for a while.  Though it will ruin Orion once the remnant fades away.

OTOH, the surface layers have a really long lag time in terms of response to what goes on in the core, except when the explosion shock propagates through the star's outer envelope.  I would be surprised if this variation had anything to do with what the core is doing.

7 hours ago, death tribble said:

Plane crashes, many survivors. That is a welcome change

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-50922219

Well, that is one thing, I have mentioned when people talk about plane travel being safer.  That while true, far fewer accidents, but if you do have an accident, it always seems you will definitely not be surviving.

1 hour ago, death tribble said:

Two shot dead in Texas church

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-50942664

I don't know what is more disturbing. That the church had a security guard or a number of the congregation came to church armed.

I live in Texas and it hasn't always been this way.  It feels like a reaction to the fact that people have decided that shooting up churches is a good way to commit suicide-by-cop.  :(

2 hours ago, death tribble said:

I don't know what is more disturbing. That the church had a security guard or a number of the congregation came to church armed.

They stopped the shooting within six seconds of it starting, so a good result that I don't find disturbing. It is disheartening that people continue to shoot up our public places with such regularity.

On 12/27/2019 at 9:39 PM, Cancer said:

If it does explode, it'll be an unresolved point source (to the unaided eye) comparable in brightness to the full moon, though there's a lot of slop in that estimate.  At a distance of about 220 parsecs, it'll be spectacular for a while.  Though it will ruin Orion once the remnant fades away.

OTOH, the surface layers have a really long lag time in terms of response to what goes on in the core, except when the explosion shock propagates through the star's outer envelope.  I would be surprised if this variation had anything to do with what the core is doing.

A shame, Orion is the only constellation, I've ever been able to find.

On December 28, 2019 at 12:08 AM, Badger said:

Well, that is one thing, I have mentioned when people talk about plane travel being safer.  That while true, far fewer accidents, but if you do have an accident, it always seems you will definitely not be surviving.

I couldn't help but notice that this is precisely the conversation I have with people who denigrate motorcycles as not being "real vehicles."  (for the european audience:  there is a damned _baffling_ tendency in the United States to view motorcycles as some sort of adult toy (no: not that kind!!).  Worse, it seems to permeate even to a majority of the owners of motorcycles in the United States, to the point that you will see them load up a motorcycle onto a trailer or in a truck, _tow it across half the country_ to the place they want to ride it, unload it, ride it around for a few hours, then load it back up and carry it home again.  The idea that motorcycles and scooters (the larger, highway-capable ones) are actual vehicles that sip gas, insure cheaply, and lack roughly 9/10 of the maintenance-requiring systems on four-wheeled vehicles is completely lost on most Americans.  There are thousands of us who will say "I rode around Michigan, touring the Great Lakes coastline," but damned few of us who will not preface that with "I hauled the bike to Michigan, unloaded it then."  It drives me nuts!

Anyway, the conversation is similar:  the spectacular results of motorcycles accidents seems to completely hide the fact that they are, comparatively, incredibly rare.  (note that I am not including "Dropping" as an accident: that's straight-up incompetence, not traffic-related)

5 hours ago, death tribble said:

4 hours ago, ScottishFox said:

I live in Texas and it hasn't always been this way.  It feels like a reaction to the fact that people have decided that shooting up churches is a good way to commit suicide-by-cop.  :(

Yep.  Didn't used to be that way around here, either.  It is now (sans the security guard).  In fact, it wasn't until that stupid kid shot up that Carolina church a couple of years ago that people began to attend church services armed around here.

What I find disturbing about it is the number of people who believe the fish can talk their way out of that barrel.

I do tend to hate mopeds though.  Tend to be more road hazards in my area. Going 30 MPH in a 45 clogging up work traffic, or riding the 4-lane roads at night, with their dull flashlight light (in contrast to those halogen "is that you grandma" lights that most other vehicles.).  (almost ran over one one night because he was nearly invisible, and completely was when the truck with 8 lights was coming from the other direction)

course, another thing I thought of in car vs plane.  If you are driving the car at least, you at least still "feel" like you control your destiny.  

And I would never use a self-driving car, because my contentious relationship with all things electronic suggest, the thing will eventually go kamikaze in an all-out bid to end me.

One might argue that the number of accidents is far less important than the per-mile fatality rate.   In fact I'm not sure what the raw accident rate of motorcycles vs. cars would really tell us other than that there are far fewer motorcycles on the road than passenger cars.