In other news...

tkdguy

26 minutes ago, death tribble said:

The ex-head of Nissan escapes to Lebanon from Japan

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-50959620

Given the Japanese conviction rate of something on the order of 95%, Ghosn may have a point. They have a presumption of guilt built into the very core of their judicial system. Which means that it's almost certain their net draws in the innocent as well as the guilty.

That doesn't excuse the crimes Ghosn is accused of committing (embezzling millions of dollars from the carmaker he ran as CEO), but he didn't have a prayer in the Japanese system . He will probably be sent back eventually, but for now he's free (well, as free as anyone is in Lebanon) and in relative safety.

"The new discovery in Russia marked the first time multiple generations of Scythian women were found buried together, according to the researchers. The youngest of the bodies may have belonged to a girl roughly 12 or 13 years old. Two others were women in their 20s, according to the researchers, and the fourth was between 45 and 50.

Mayor said the findings suggested that young girls were trained early on, just like boys, to ride horses and use bows and arrows.

“This was an egalitarian society,” Mayor told The Washington Post on Tuesday. “The fact that you have a range of ages is important because people previously thought that mothers wouldn’t be out fighting because they had children.”

“In these small tribes on the harsh steppes, it makes sense that every single person has to have the same skills and competence to defend the tribe as necessary,” she added. “It confirms that these women really were warriors throughout their lives.”

The discovery also represents the first time such a remarkably well-preserved headdress was found on a warrior woman’s head. According to the researchers, the headdress was 65 to 70 percent gold — a far higher portion than is often found in Scythian jewelry, which is typically about 30 percent."

In short, previous unearthing of warrior women's remains were suggestive but isolated, but this one offers far more evidence that female fighters were an integrated part of Scythian society, and could rise to prominence and positions of authority.

6 hours ago, pinecone said:

Thanks for the article, but this not new knowlege is it? I thought findings of this sort became known in the 70's? Maybe I am remembering incorrectly, but this just seems like mugging for the camera....

This discovery may be new, but similar & background knowledge has been known for a while. I have a book The Horse, the Wheel, and Language (2007)  (reputation amongst scholars) which has two references to similar discoveries, one in 1997 and another in 2003.

The above article tangibly confirms the lengthy paragraph in thr above book which discusses warrior women burials and women holding leadership positions amongst the Scythian-Sarmatian people in the Volga-Ural region.

additional books which may be of interest

A Bronze Age Landscape in the Russian Steppes: The Samara Valley Project (essay collection, co-written by author of The Horse, The Wheel and Language)

Warrior Women (co-written by author of 1997 study). 

Hope me this helps. 

4 hours ago, Old Man said:

I often joke about Australia being a postapocalyptic hellscape, but now that entire districts are unable to evacuate from the megafiires there, I realize that was in poor taste. If there is anything we can do to help, NGD Australians, let us know. 

send rain

We've had an inch in the last week.  The week before Christmas we got 6 inches of rain  in five days.  Now, it has been warm, so we haven't accumulated snow pack.  Still .. do the Aussies fantasize about flood watches?  We have had those.